Magnetic starter on wood working machine

Old 02-14-15, 06:24 PM
Magnetic starter on wood working machine

I have an MA-15 magnetic switch installed on a 220V Grizzly jointer (G0586). See page 34.

It's a pretty standard magnetic switch - power cord and wires from control panel = in, and wires to motor = out. But, when I press the start button it just hums with no action. The machine will however run if I press and hold in the contactor on the magnetic switch. If I press it in for a second the motor runs and then shuts off when I let go, but if I hold it long enough for the motor to reach full speed then the magnet kicks in and keeps the motor on - which is what's supposed to happen when I turn it on in the first place.

Things I've checked:
Power supply is 220V and has been checked for continuity
Motor receives the full 220V when running (via aforementioned work around)
Wires for the control panel have been checked for continuity
No wires seem oxidized/damaged

Is anyone able to help at all? Thanks so much in advance. Grizzly tech support has been very unhelpful so far.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-15, 06:56 PM
It sounds as if the problem could be either the switch or the coil, troubleshooting is needed. Now, where to get parts. This is just one of many problems with equipment built offshore.

Old 02-14-15, 07:26 PM
Group Moderator
It could also be the current interrupter. I posted part of the schematic.

You need to check for voltage at the coil when you push the start button. If you don't have 240vac at points 1 and 2..... try shorting points 3 to 4 together and see if you now have 240vac on the coil (1&2). Let me know what you measure.

Name:  griz.JPG
Views: 220
Size:  46.3 KB

Old 02-14-15, 09:51 PM
Thanks, I'll do this first thing tomorrow morning.

Something I didn't mention in the OP is that this is now the third switch attempted. The first switch was when the jointer was under it's previous ownership so I don't know anything about that, and the second switch is one I installed but had a new one sent out as I assumed that the reason why it wasn't working was due to it being the wrong model for the machine (which it was).

A helper from another forum pointed out the unlikelihood of 3 faulty switches, and suggested that the issue may be the motor drawing too much current upon start up and tripping something, which goes some way to explain how the motor will run when I hold the contactor in long enough for the motor to get going.

Thing is, I still don't understand where else in the machine there can be a fault. I'm not great at this stuff. I'll report back tomorrow with the readings from the diagnostics you've suggested.

Thanks for your help

Old 02-15-15, 07:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Brand new install and it's never worked?
Installed in an out building with a subpanel?
Anyone else wondering what size wire was used to feed the panel, may have voltage but not enough amps to pull in the contactor?
Just a thought from a layman.
Just seen way to many time where someone tried to save money on wire because at the time they did not need anything but lights and a few outlets.

Old 02-15-15, 11:18 AM
I built and wired my shop myself. It has 2-2-2-4 AL feeder which is good for 90 amps. I've checked my circuit and it's supply ~240V.

PJMax,
I checked and I have 120 across points 1 and 2, and still have 120 when I fuse 3 and 4. I don't know enough about starters to know what that means, but I did check all the other leads coming in (from my power supply and from the control box) and they all have 240 across them when coming into the coil. Of course, as the coil doesn't engage when I press On, the motor gets nothing until I press and hold in the contactor.

Old 02-15-15, 11:00 PM
Group Moderator
Ok..... so you have a severe voltage issue. Now try measuring at L1/1 and L3/5 at the top of the magnetic switch. You should see 240vac before you hit the start switch.

What do you measure when you push the start switch ?