Switched Receptacle: Adding a Light

Old 02-16-15, 02:03 PM
Switched Receptacle: Adding a Light

Since I can't figure out how to post a new question, I figured I would ask here. I have a switch in a room that controls both sides of an outlet. I added a light to the ceiling and just want to be sure it is wired to the switch correctly. I left the outlet controlled by the switch.
should I disconnect it?

In the switch box, there are black wires with a pig tail to the switch, white wires with a tail to the switch and an orange wire that runs to the outlet. The black and white are ran into the back of the switch. I added the white wire, from the new light, to the wire nut that held the group of white wires in the switch box. I took the black wire from the light and used the screw terminal on the switch that shared with the black wire that is stuck in the back of the switch. Is this ok? I noticed soneone wrote that you shouldn't use the holes in the back of the switch..they were actually already like this from the electrician that replaced all of our switches and outlets about 14 years ago. If this is wrong, what should I do. I'm just trying to avoid having the family member electrician come over if I can avoid it. Thank you in advance for your time.

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-15, 02:07 PM
I see how to create a new post now that I'm not on my phone. Let me know if I should start a new question. Thanks

Old 02-16-15, 02:12 PM
Group Moderator
Post moved to its own thread.