Problem with replacing a breaker

Old 02-17-15, 01:18 PM
Problem with replacing a breaker

I have a breaker that is tripping. Every time I tried to turn the breaker it trips. I tried a few things to solve the problem and decide to replace the breaker. I call a certified electrician but I have more than a week waiting and decide to try myself.

The problem is the panel is a challenger one. I have read that eaton has the replacement but I had some problems finding the right one. The current challenger breaker is a 4 pole Type A 20 30 CT. Any recommendation about a replacement?

PS.Sorry for my bad English

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-15, 02:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you disconnect all of the wires from the breaker and turn it on, does it still trip?

Old 02-17-15, 02:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would help you to narrow down why the breaker is tripping. If it is from overload it is doing its job and indicating that you either need to cut the load or run a new circuit.

Old 02-17-15, 03:09 PM
" If you disconnect all of the wires from the breaker and turn it on, does it still trip? "

I need to check that one. I haven't worked with the breaker yet, someone that was visiting me told me that maybe replacing the breaker would be a good idea.

"It would help you to narrow down why the breaker is tripping. If it is from overload it is doing its job and indicating that you either need to cut the load or run a new circuit."

Problem started when I had someone install an electric oven in the same line from the dryer. He told me all were to be okay if I would not use both at same time and I did that. But one morning I notice my stove wasn't working and when I checked the it seems the dryer breaker was making the stove one to trip too. Even one time when I tried to turned on the dryer line it made some sparkles and the all the house went off. But all kept working while I kept the dryer turned off.

Old 02-17-15, 03:19 PM
Group Moderator
Problem started when I had someone install an electric oven in the same line from the dryer.
Wrong for multiple reasons. You need to run a correct sized circuit to the oven ASAP.
checked the it seems the dryer breaker was making the stove one to trip too.
And what ever the yahoo did gets even worse. We can walk you through sorting this out or if you feel it is beyond your skill level call a real electrician. Unless you have super good fire insurance don't use the dryer or oven even one at a time till this mess is sorted out.

Old 02-17-15, 03:26 PM
I can't really use the dryer because every time I try to turn on the break it trips so I left the breaker turned off. i did call an electrician. Already 10 days and not answer for me. Since I live in a small town I don't have many choices that the one I already called. Also I disconnected the dryer and tried to turned on the breaker and the same happened.