GFI receptacle won't reset.

Old 02-17-15, 06:50 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation GFI receptacle won't reset.

I have a GFCI receptacle in the basement of a new home built in 2013. The receptacle has always had only one water pump, used to pump water out from a utility sink which drains into the pump, plugged into it. Last month the housekeeper plugged in something else and tripped it. It will not reset. As far as I know, nothing else is wired to it (I pulled it out from the box and only 3 wires (1neutral, 1 white, 1 black) are going into the bottom. Nothing is connected to the top. I have a new GFCI receptacle to be installed, but I do not want to change it out until I am sure the power has been cut. Using my meter and touching one lead to the screw on one side, and one to the screw on the other side, I get zero voltage readback. The wires are fed into the back of the outlet but I am assuming the screws should give me a readback of the voltage?

how can I be sure the power is turned off before replacing the outlet?
Obviously I have made sure none of the breakers in the electrical box are tripped.

Thank you!

Last edited by bleck; 02-17-15 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-17-15, 07:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Checking for voltage between the black and white wires or the brass and silver screws would be the proper place to check for voltage. A GFI without power will not reset.

Have you checked for a tripped breaker? Did you attempt to reset the device by pushing the reset button?

BTW, the code requires the circuits to be labeled.

Old 02-17-15, 08:05 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you pcboss. By letting me know I was testing for voltage at the correct place (brass and silver screws), I realized that I did not have power to the receptacle and that my original thinking of "one set of wires coming in, meant it was the only outlet connected to the breaker" was incorrect. It was infact the last one in line. I searched around and found a tripped gfci in the adjoining bathroom (which no one uses). Once resetting that one, the test light and power returned to my "faulty" outlet. I still could not reset my outlet with the reset button, but I was able to turn off the breaker and replace the receptacle which did SOLVE the Problem!

Thanks again!

Old 02-17-15, 08:21 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You need to either move the wiring at the first GFCI that supplies the second from the load side to the line side (probably best in this case) or replace the second GFCI with a standard receptacle*. To GFCIs can conflict with each other.

*Assumes feed to second GFCI is connected to load side at the first GFCI.

Old 02-18-15, 07:19 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
To meet modern codes that bathroom should have been on it's own 20 amp. GFI protected circuit and not shared with any other room.
I also would have had that pump on it's own 20 amp. non GFI circuit using a single not a double outlet.
That GFI trips and you have a flood to deal with.

Old 02-18-15, 07:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
I also would have had that pump on it's own 20 amp. non GFI circuit using a single not a double outlet.
That GFI trips and you have a flood to deal with.
That single receptacle option has been removed from the NEC. If the GFI trips it is preventing a shock hazard and indicating repair or replacement of the pump is needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: