Constant Voltage Transformer Question

Old 02-17-15, 04:57 PM
Question Constant Voltage Transformer Question

Separated From: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...gy-signal.html

Could a constant voltage transformer work for this? I'm having a similar issue with computer UPS that do not have pure sine wave output completely freaking out on generator power. The double conversion online units are the only ones that truly fix the issue, but are expensive. I can get three of units I linked for free from my father but don't have a clue if it will work or not. Anyone know?

Last edited by ray2047; 02-17-15 at 07:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-15, 06:32 PM
Jason, please start a new topic rather than piggy-backing onto an existing topic that is dealing with another matter.

Mod Note: Post has been separated.

Last edited by ray2047; 02-17-15 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-17-15, 08:43 PM
Group Moderator
It's not just the sine wave..... it's the harmonic distortion from inexpensive generator heads.
A constant voltage transformer system may just work. Sure couldn't hurt to give it a try especially when having access to a $350+ unit.

Let us know the results.

Old 02-18-15, 11:32 AM
Those Sola constant voltage transformers have a few quirks of their own. For one thing they have a fairly loud and annoying hum when energized (much more than a regular transformer) and they also have a significant input draw even with no output load. If those things are of no importance to you then absolutely try one. My gut sense is that it won't help in your situation.

Old 02-18-15, 04:43 PM
I'm not sure of the brand of what my father has, the Sola's were meant as an example. My alternative to this is to wire up a dedicated 30 amp circuit and buy one of these. It will handle my entire networking closet, home theater and server, I'd just rather the free solution would work.