Zinsco Arc Fault Breaker

Old 02-19-15, 09:21 AM
Zinsco Arc Fault Breaker

"....if you plan on updating the panel at some point I suggest it...if you want to make it as safe as possible now I would consider replacement of breakers with newer ones made by a company called Thomas & Betts...( P.S. No i do not work for them....and have nothing to gain by them ) as the biggest concern I see in the Zinsco panel is weakening connections to the hot buss causing arcing and heat build up..."
What is the latest thinking on addressing the Zinsco issue with new replacement parts? I have searched for replacement breakers and bus bars that address the problems with Zinsco panels. I have found a UL approved bus bar replacement, however, it is not obvious that there is a breaker that is different from the Zinsco product. If there is a direct UL rated replacement or an ACFI breaker that can be inserted in to the same space, could you please indicate what supplier and part number is available for a 20 amp single or 2-pole breaker?
Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-15, 09:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I doubt that you will find anyone making an AFCI for an obsolete panel. Zinsco did not have a great reputation anyway. I would not waste money on changing parts, but would plan on changing out the panel.

Old 02-19-15, 01:56 PM
Group Moderator
There was a time when you could get some replacement parts but I haven't seen anything recently for a Zinsco panel and as far as an arc fault breaker.... not likely.

Old 02-19-15, 08:01 PM
What is the latest thinking on addressing the Zinsco issue with new replacement parts? -
It's a known fire hazard, just replace it! Even if you were able to salvage and make the panel a bit safer, do you want to pay $30 to $40 each for breakers that are not U.L. Listed? As far as arc fault protection, you'd have to set up a subpanel from a manufacturer that has arc fault breakers available.