Which Plastic Romex Connector to use?

Old 02-19-15, 10:23 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Which Plastic Romex Connector to use?

From behind the dishwasher I recently fished Romex thru the wall to an metal electrical box above the counter. The metal box is secured to a stud & behind ceramic tile. Was afraid I damage the tile trying to remove the box. So I opted not to remove it. The Romex was fairly stiff to pull thru the wall, probably insulation, so the Romex isn't going anywhere.

At the time I wasn't sure how to secure the Romex in the box because there was no to get a non metal connector like the one pictured below below the box.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]46846[/ATTACH]

I had this 3/8" BX connector & decided it along with a anti-short bushing was better than nothing. The BX connector is not screwed down either. Just sitting there keeping the Romex in the middle of the knockout. In fact neither the screws nor plate they use to secure are there either. Interfering with the single pole toggle switch just in front of the knocked out hole.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]46847[/ATTACH]

Now think I should have used a plastic connector, perhaps like these. But they look as if they sit too high & will interfere with the toggle switch.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]46848[/ATTACH]

Saw this one @ Lowes but it seemed to me as if it would pinch the Romex cable or dig into it. Am I being silly thinking this is so sharp it would poke thru the Romex? Otherwise this looks like the best option so far.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]46849[/ATTACH]

Trying do it right with one of the plastic connectors. Which would be recommended or something better? Pretty sure the knockout is a 1/2" hole.

Thank you

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-15, 10:45 AM
The bottom one is your best bet. Your situation is what it's designed for since you can't secure the cable with a clamp and locking ring.

Old 02-19-15, 10:57 AM
W
Needed someone to confirm that.

Thank you

Old 02-19-15, 11:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Second opinion from the right coast. Confirmed. Push in connector is best and easiest.

Old 02-19-15, 11:13 AM
W
Thanking the right coast too

Old 02-19-15, 12:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 73 Posts
The black button is less likely to damage the cable than one where the screws can clamp down too tight.

FWIW, try not to use the center knockouts if you are mounting a device to the box.

Old 02-19-15, 01:44 PM
W
The black button is less likely to damage the cable than one where the screws can clamp down too tight
That's good to know as that was a concern.

The far left knockout is where the Romex comes thru. But just for my information, why should one not use the center knockout if mounting a device?

thank you

Old 02-19-15, 02:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Often the device screw will hit the connector or the neck of a metal connector sits up too high and hits the device.

Old 02-19-15, 03:06 PM
Received 69 Votes on 65 Posts
If the box was existing you should have fished the wire up through one of the holes in the back bottom of the box and use the built in clamp.as stated the connector in the bottom middle may interfere with the device.
Unless I am missing something.
Geo

Old 02-19-15, 03:59 PM
W
Often the device screw will hit the connector or the neck of a metal connector sits up too high and hits the device.
Hope I remember that when necessary

If the box was existing you should have fished the wire up through one of the holes in the back bottom of the box and use the built in clamp.as stated the connector in the bottom middle may interfere with the device.
The knocked out hole is far left, not middle. That question to pcboss was only to add to my currently inadequate repository of anything electrical.

The old clamp was part of a three wire AC cable that had become deteriorated & unusable. Built in clamp part of old AC cable now as far down in the wall as I could push it.

thanks

Last edited by whatisit; 02-19-15 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-15-16, 08:27 PM
P
Sorry to go back to such an old thread, but I have the exact same question and the answer here isn't quite making sense to me. How would those plastic romex clamps help if you can't access the outside of the box (since it's behind the ceramic tile)? I believe those plastic clamps are designed to be pushed in from the outside of the box, not the inside, and so... wouldn't there still be the same problem as with the metal clamps?

Old 11-15-16, 08:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,050 Votes on 974 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

They can go inside out or outside in. They snap in place and will work in both directions.

Old 11-16-16, 05:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Bridgeport is also making a NM connector specifically made to go from the inside of the box. I believe it is marketed as the insider.

Old 11-16-16, 05:55 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts