Wiring Fan, Light, and Switch

Old 02-19-15, 03:00 PM
Wiring Fan, Light, and Switch

I am looking at a junction box that has 3 wires coming from the source (bottom), 3 wires that go to the fan (top), and 3 wires that go to the switch (left bottom).

And in my hand, a light fixture with 3 wires as well.

The green wires or bare wires get connected to the ground, but the rest is a puzzle that has been defeating me for the last few days.

Help is appreciated to get everything working properly.

When I have done it - the fan wasn't sucking enough, and the lights are dim... Right now everything is disconnected.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-15, 03:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! So we are clear, wires are individual conductors. Cables are a group of conductors encased in a covering. How were the wires in the junction box connected originally? Any idea why you took the junction box apart, rather than wiring the light to the existing wiring and switch? Curious. You may help us help you better if you could post a picture of the junction box wiring, switch wiring and the ceiling canopy wiring. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 02-19-15, 03:20 PM
Group Moderator
So you want the switch to turn on the fan and light together ?

Name:  switchloop - Copy.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  16.7 KB

Old 02-20-15, 11:59 AM
I took an original light fixture out, but while I was installing the new one, I realized that I had to rotate the junction box to align the screws otherwise the light would be vertical...

In regards to wires / cables... I have 3 cables (to power box, to the motor, and to the switch); and 3 wires from the light fixture.

Old 02-20-15, 01:35 PM
Group Moderator
O/T of your question but:
I had to rotate the junction box to align the screws otherwise the light would be vertical
Normally the light does not go directly to the box. It goes to the mounting plate. The mounting plate allows for the necessary orientation. Something sounds odd. Can you explain more fully.

Old 02-23-15, 05:33 AM
I did have a mounting plate... but putting the mounting plate on the junction box wouldn't allow me to line up the screw holes on the light to the screw holes on the mounting plate.

So rotating the junction box allowed the mounting plate to connect at the top and bottom, and the light to connect horizontally.

The digram post from PJmax did indeed work, and everything looks great!

Thanks for the assistance!