Moving irrigation well pump to range breaker

Old 02-19-15, 07:45 PM
Moving irrigation well pump to range breaker

Hello,

I am installing a sub panel for pool equipment, but my load center is out of available slots for another two pole breaker, and already tandem (house built in '83). My idea was to move the 240v irrigation well pump to the range breaker to share. Theory being, the range and irrigation well pump will likely never be on at the same time. Only issue is, the range is on a two pole 50amp breaker, and the well pump is on a two pole 20amp breaker.

Is that OK? If not, what is the worst that can happen?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-15, 08:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is not OK or anywhere close to code. The range needs to be a dedicated circuit.

The smaller wire could melt before the larger breaker ever came close to tripping.

Old 02-19-15, 08:10 PM
We are planning to have an electrician change out the load center later this year for a larger one. $1,800 including running a dedicated circuit for microwave and fridge, and install 2 new ground rods.

I was hoping to do this sub-panel now. Damn. If the wire has not melted on a 20amp breaker, why would it melt on a 50amp breaker? I know I know. Trying to get the answer I want.

Old 02-19-15, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
If the wire has not melted on a 20amp breaker, why would it melt on a 50amp breaker?
Are you serious ??

20 amp wiring protected by a 50 amp circuit breaker will melt and catch fire before tripping the breaker. Don't do something you'll be sorry for later.

Old 02-19-15, 08:32 PM
Thanks for stopping the stupid! Not sure why I did not think of this earlier, but the load center in the garage and the pool sub panel are on the same wall, separated by about 30'. I will just remove the well pump from the load center and swing it around in the attic and feed it into to the pool sub panel.

Problem solved!