3-Wire Cable Colors

Old 02-20-15, 01:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3-Wire Cable Colors

Hi All, I've just installed a new rolling gate opener and am ready to burn it up.
My wiring from the plug is GREEN, BROWN and RED. The manual shows the connections as E N L, but I can't find a chart that shows my colors for Earth, Neutral and Line. I have seen where Line has been brown, back and red.

The cable was there from my old opener when went kaput.

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks a bunch,

Jim

Old 02-20-15, 01:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Gonna have to help us a little. Model number of opener. Possibly pictures of your wiring. Is it in conduit? Are you using separate wires, rather than underground cable?

Old 02-20-15, 01:27 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Earth, Neutral and Line
You are using European terminology but your IP shows US. Most residential swing gates are 12 volts DC. I'm not familiar with residential rolling gates but based on your colors I'd lean toward 12 volts DC. Please give us the make and model number.

Old 02-20-15, 01:29 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What is the make & model of it? Green is certainly the ground/earth. That much we know.

Old 02-20-15, 04:50 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Actually, the wiring installed a few years ago by myself and another guy and it was attached to my previous gate opener......Mighty Mule, I think.

The new one is an Aleko AC2000, but I don't think that will help. It has a connection for ENL or Hot, Ground and Neutral, but my question is still the same.

My wires are BROWN, RED, GREEN,

I think GREEN goes to E, BROWN to N and RED to L (or hot). Gonna run a test on it manana with a multimeter to be sure which is the HOT. The green, I hope, is easy to decipher......Earth. So, the other two are in question.

Again, thanks to all of you.

Jim in the Desert of NM

Old 02-20-15, 05:17 PM
it was attached to my previous gate opener......Mighty Mule, I think.
Mighty Mule is DC. It runs from a 12 volt battery. There is no hot or ground. There is positive and negative low voltage from the batery charger.. The Aleko AC2000 is a 120 volts AC which means you will need to run a 120 volt supply to the gate. That cable won't work.

Here is the power info on a Mighty Mule slide gate opener. As you can see it is not compatible with your new opener.

Name:  snapshot12.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  29.8 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 02-20-15 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-20-15, 06:32 PM
Of course!! I don't know what I was thinking...........well I wasn't thinking.

That will make it easier, I think.

All I have to do is use a three-wire cable from the existing 120v outlet there on a post. Right?

Thanks for kick-starting my thinking .

Regards, Jim

Old 02-20-15, 06:39 PM
All I have to do is use a three-wire cable from the existing 120v outlet there on a post. Right?
Rather then hard wiring with cable I'd suggest using a cord such as SOW and a cord cap (plug) and an in use cover on the receptacle if permitted by manufacturers instructions. Other wise if you hard wire use Sealtite and individual conductors. If hardwired you may need a disconnect such as an unfused A/C disconnect or switch in a weather proof box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: