Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

slide-in range replacing hard wired wall oven and stove top

Old 02-20-15, 02:42 PM

I'm planning to hire an electrician; however, beforehand I'm removing the non load bearing wall they back up to. I like to know what I'm dealing with. Which source will my electrician use for the new range? One? Both? Any reason I can't request they put in the outlet and I wire in the cord?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-15, 02:47 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Wild guess? They are probably separate circuits, in which case, both will be used.

Old 02-20-15, 02:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! It will depend on the new range's amperage rating. Most are 50 amps. You probably have one 30 amp for the old oven and one 60 amp for the range top. He can use the wiring for the old range top if there are 4 wires. If not, he will need to run a new 4 wire cable from your breaker panel. He can abandon the 30 amp, or remove it as he does that.

Old 02-20-15, 03:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, The electrician can install the outlet for new range. You can install range, attaching cord and plugging it in.
Let the electrician decide which cable/circuit to use or if a new cable needs to be run to panel.

If your question is should you pre-position one cable or the other beforehand (prepare for wiring at new location), the answer is no. Leave the wall open until electrician arrives.