How to cover / hide the wires

Old 02-23-15, 05:26 AM
Question How to cover / hide the wires

Hi All, we recently replaced all old wires in the house with new wires and changed the panel. The panel's inspection is due in a few days, and our electrician thinks that we will pass the inspection. But regardless of if we pass it or not in current state, i want to do something to organize / hide these wires, so they are not exposed in the garage which is too cold / near a window.

1. What is the best way to 'cover' the wires just above the panel. I will sheet rock and close the broken ceiling - that whole was created to run wires to second floor.
2. What's the best way to move wires 'up' closer to the ceiling and hold them there - along the window, so I can still open the window. something like a vinyl sheet that gets screwed on the wall & ceiling - just above the window, so the wires are pushed all the way up.. or some sort of corrugated pipe that i can cut and cover the wires with it.. so what can i use for this - and also - will too many wires jammed together cause a problem? Why do they usually not allow too many wires in a conduit. will I be causing some similar problem by jamming too many wires in a chase / conduit / behind sheetrock / behind some cover when I try to push them above the window?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-15, 05:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How close is the top of the window to the ceiling? I'm thinking framing up a soffit to house the wires.

Old 02-23-15, 05:37 AM
its 3 inches from top of the window to ceiling (after the wood frame of the window).

Old 02-23-15, 05:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd frame a soffit down 1.5" from the ceiling to house the wires ..... but I'm just a painter, wait and see what the electricians say.

Old 02-23-15, 05:47 AM
It's hard yo tell in the pic's but normally there is a space above the foundation where you could run a cleat along the ceiling and attach a board or drywall from it to create a box,big thing about bundling cables is heat,but I doubt it would be a problem for you.
Definitely wouldn't hurt to neaten it a bit before inspection,AHJ could get you for, neat and workman like manner.
Geo

Old 02-23-15, 07:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Those cables should have been secured within 12:" of the panel and then no more than 4 1/2' thereafter. The inspector may not like the bundling either.

I would not expect that to come anywhere close to passing an inspection.

Old 02-23-15, 07:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm with PCBoss,
I wouldn't look forward to this passing inspection first time around. That's quite a mess.
A soffit or raceway is definitely in order. It would have been nice to build the raceway before running the new cable.

Old 02-23-15, 10:15 AM
Group Moderator
Can't tell from the pictures.... but it looks like the panel should have been attached to a wooden back board which would have given you a place to fasten the wires.

Old 02-23-15, 10:55 AM
For securing 12 inch within panel - they are tied to the panel using a UL rated plastic connector. That connector is holding them 'to the panel'.
On left of the window, along the entire garage wall, the foundation is 4-5 inches 'out' then the rim area, where these wires are. So, once we cover it with sheetrock, that will act as raceway. The main issue is above the window and just above the panel. yes, also there is a black wood panel behind the breaker box. I am looking at some pictures on google images, and I see how some people have neatly stapled it on that black wood board. I don't think have enough 'extra wire' to staple them now.. am i totally hosed here?

Old 02-23-15, 11:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you paid your electrician? if he hasn't been paid yet he has a lot of incentive to make things right and satisfy both you and the inspector!

Old 02-23-15, 11:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Additional means like being stapled within 12" of the panel are required and your electrician should be well aware of these rules. You also need the other means of securement or support I already spoke about. The required cable clamp is not sufficient.

Wood blocking may be needed above the panel if the cables are not long enough.

Old 02-23-15, 11:30 AM
Thanks all. he is going to come back to neat it up before the inspection. That's why I love this forum.

Old 02-23-15, 12:02 PM
Another followup - i can't post a picture yet, as it's covered under the snow. With this new panel, we have put two 10 feet long ground rods outside in the ground. They both connect with a green wire. That wire is not too deep in the ground. Is there any code requirement / suggestion on how to protect that wire? Should it be XX inches deep to prevent damage?

Old 02-23-15, 12:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would have run it right next to or secured to the foundation.