Is this breaker box fixable?

Old 02-23-15, 07:48 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is this breaker box fixable?

Is this breaker box fixable ..the wires were cut once my ex husband had to move by court order. would it be costly ? thank you in advance for the help/Name:  1.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  22.5 KBName:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  21.9 KB

Old 02-23-15, 07:52 AM
K
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
It is fixable but might require adding some more junctions next to the box, which is not big deal as long as they are accessable.

Old 02-23-15, 10:01 AM
Received 159 Upvotes on 145 Posts
Is anything work that is connected there? Doesn't look like there is a feed to that panel,suggest you have an electrician examine it,look's pretty shakie from here.
Anything can be fixed,but at what cost?
Geo

Old 02-23-15, 10:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,884 Upvotes on 3,481 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I have to agree with Geo. There is no main feed to that panel and it looks like all the circuits may have been spliced to another remotely powered cable.

Definitely needs to be checked by an electrician.

Old 02-23-15, 10:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
I don't see much left to work with except the branch circuits. The only way to get a price is an on-site evaluation.

I might suggest changing the panel also.

Old 02-24-15, 09:07 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
If he's the one who originally did that wiring and sheetrock taping, you're better off without him anyway.

My biggest concern right now would be to make sure none of that is live. I don't think the exposed breaker stabs are hooked up to anything, but there is the potential for a lot of dangerous live wires to be hanging out. Make sure to keep kids and pets far away. You can get a non-contact voltage detector for pretty cheap at the hardware store just to verify if any of it is live.

I don't think any of it looks too bad for an electrician to fix. The panel is kind of a mystery since it doesn't seem to be hooked up -- was it in process of being installed or removed or was it working normally then vandalized? Maybe the feeder cable was stolen for scrap metal?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: