Help Need Installing Belkin Wemo Switch

Old 02-26-15, 02:06 PM
Help Need Installing Belkin Wemo Switch

Hi,

I've just bought a Belkin Wemo light switch to begin some home automation. I'm trying to fit the switch in my hallway which has a switch at each end.

The wires going into the switch I intend to change haven't been labelled and I'm not sure what each one is because they don't seem colour coded. I'm trying to work out which wires I need to connect from the wall to the wires on the new Belkin switch.

Here are some images:

I've labelled the wires by number following what numbers they go into on the current switch. There's also some green and blue wires that I've included in the images below. Do you know what they are?

Current Setup: http://i.imgur.com/h3TZTTn.jpg
New Belkin Switch: http://i.imgur.com/LpMEWuM.jpg
Green & Blue Wires: http://i.imgur.com/TpvDSuf.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-15, 02:18 PM
Welcome to the forum. The existing switch is a 3 way switch, so I'm assuming the one at the other end is the same. The blue and green wires are different and the connectors on them are not common here. What country are you located in?

Old 02-26-15, 02:39 PM
Group Moderator
That is UK electrical wiring.

The blue is your neutral and the green is your ground.
However, you need to purchase a three way replacement switch. The one you currently have is only a single pole type.

I was checking at the wemo help site and the only suggestion made was to bypass the second three way switch which means that the lights can only be controlled from the wemo.

wemo doesn't currently offer a three way switch that I'm aware of.

Old 02-26-15, 02:57 PM
It could be possible to run this wemo switch on the source feed before the 3-way switches, but that would mean having to place the new switch in its own box and make this more than a simple switch swap.

Old 02-26-15, 03:31 PM
That particular switch is only rated for 120 volt 60hz systems, it will not work for UK wiring

Old 02-26-15, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
Note to original poster: What we call a 3-way circuit is called a 2-way circuit in the UK.

Old 02-26-15, 09:34 PM
Group Moderator
That particular switch is only rated for 120 volt 60hz systems, it will not work for UK wiring
Noma.... thank you very much for that piece of information.

Belkin does not offer that type of switch for UK use. They offer a switch/powerpoint device which operates on high voltage.