How to connect older pool table light

Old 03-03-15, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to connect older pool table light

Hello,

I have a previously owned pool table light (~20 lbs) that I cannot figure out how to attach to an existing ceiling electrical box. Please see the attached picture.

Name:  Ceiling box and fixture.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  30.9 KB

The existing box is securely mounted, but does not seem compatible, and I cannot find anything in local stores that might help. I thought a larger box might do the trick, but I've not seen anything beyond 4". The fixture has me confused. Even if the two 3" holes would provide support, I don't see how to secure it to the box cross bracket. Most fixtures I've installed in the past use the center bracket hole and a threaded post on the fixture. This fixture's center post if far too short, and there would be an issue with the other two (wires) even if I extended it.

Hopefully I'm making this more complicated than it really is. Any suggestions will be appreciated, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-15, 10:57 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
8-32 all thread studs or 8-32 machine screws go in the slots of the hanger with nuts on either both sides of the hanger. The studs are aligned with the ho;es (red) in the hanger. The studs are adjusted so about " passes through the base. A nut and cap nut is used to secure the light.

Name:  x.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  32.0 KB
Using PJ's fixture bars below is simpler. Just thread an 8-32 machine screw in to the tapped hole.

Last edited by ray2047; 03-03-15 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-03-15, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
Ray gave you one method. Another one is to change the fixture bar. There are many different styles and they make them where your two screw holes would line up directly. The bar on the left has three sets of tapped holes.

Old 03-04-15, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you both very much. The solution is so clear now that I don't know how I struggled to find it, but I definitely did and was lost. Thanks!

Adam

Old 03-04-15, 01:06 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
We all have those moments. That is one of the reasons the forum is here.