Both wires are hot coming from dishwasher

Old 03-03-15, 02:13 PM
Both wires are hot coming from dishwasher

I wanted to designate a breaker for the dishwasher, because it kept tripping the breaker. When I ran my new 14-2 romex and hook the black to black and white to white, my white wire becomes hot all the way back to neutral buss. I don't understand why this is happening?

The way it was previously hooked up and working was odd. It ran from dishwasher to an outlet in the basement. Both wires we're still hot coming out of the dishwasher until I connect the white wire from the dishwasher into the neutral side of the outlet.

Please help!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-15, 02:50 PM
Sounds like something is wrong with the dishwasher.

Old 03-03-15, 02:54 PM
But the dishwasher works if I hook it up to the outlet in the basement how it was set up before I wanted to designate a breaker.

As soon as I hook the black wire up to black wire on dishwasher it makes the white wire hot coming from dishwasher. As soon as I hook white wire from outlet up to white wire coming from dishwasher it becomes neutral. However once I hook black wire from panel to black from dishwasher the white wire from dishwasher makes white wire from panel hot when connected....

Old 03-03-15, 02:58 PM
Group Moderator
my white wire becomes hot all the way back to neutral buss. I don't understand why this is happening?
Both white and black carry power. Not sure what you mean by "hot"*. If you are using a non contact tester it won't give you any useful information for this situation. You need to measure between the black and white wire with a multimeter, preferably analog.

*The term hot is vague and meaning varies depending on context. Hot can simply mean have power or it can refer to the ungrounded conductor on a 120 volt circuit. The grounded conductor of a 120 volt circuit is usually refereed to as neutral but it carries the power the same as the ungrounded conductor.

Old 03-03-15, 03:02 PM
Well why isn't it hot and works when I hook it into the receptacle? It doesn't work when I try to hook it up to new romex from panel.

Old 03-03-15, 03:04 PM
Where are you taking these readings,and what are you using?
Geo

Old 03-03-15, 03:05 PM
By hot I mean my voltage tester lights up... I've used it for years... None of the other white wires show as hot in the panel box, just the one that I try to hook up to dishwasher

I tried to run a straight feed to the dishwasher from the panel box. Hooked up as normal, white to white, black to black. I got no power at dishwasher. I noticed that my white wire was feeding power back to the neutral buss.

I then hooked It back up the way it was. Wires coming from receptacle to dishwasher and it works.

Old 03-03-15, 03:12 PM
Group Moderator
What is a voltage tester? Does it have two probes? if so between what and what are you measuring power. If you mean one of those non contact testers your reading is mostly meaningless. Turn the breakers al the way off then on and test again by plugging in a lamp.

Old 03-03-15, 03:20 PM
Ray, first off thanks for your time. It does not have two probes. It is just a basic light that changes from green to red when a wire has power going through it. I've used it many times. I cannot plug a lamp in, as I am trying to direct feed the dishwasher from a new breaker. It was running from a receptacle in the basement. The receptacle had wires coming to it from a junction box, and wires going out to the dishwasher. It worked when hooked up that way. When it was hooked up that way, The white wire from dishwasher didn't show power going through it once I hooked it up to neutral side of receptacle, only when I try to direct feed it from panel box.

Old 03-03-15, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
The non contact tester is useless. It does not detect voltage. It detects an electromagnetic field which may or may not indicate a significant voltage.

Try your cable in a different known working 15 amp breaker. Redo your connection to the neutral bar. Connect a receptacle to the cable at the dishwasher and plug in a lamp to test or buy a $8-$15 analog, not digital, multimeter.

Last edited by ray2047; 03-04-15 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-03-15, 04:55 PM
Did you check to see if you get 120 at the temp wire you ran before you connected it to the DW?
Geo

Old 03-03-15, 05:14 PM
As said, it is true that the neutral carries the same current as the hot/black, and the neutral will read 120V when open because there is no voltage drop across the appliance until the neutral is grounded. If you're seeing 120V on the neutral, then the dishwasher must be switched on because otherwise it would be open. Try turning the dishwasher to the off position and I bet you will no longer have voltage on the neutral. Regardless, it sounds like everything is fine. As soon as you connect the neutral to ground, all 120V will be dropped across the appliance. Nothing to be concerned about.

Old 03-04-15, 04:03 AM
Let me rephrase, nothing to be concerned about assuming the dishwasher is in full working order and you are positive you have everything connected properly, which it sounds like you do.

Old 03-04-15, 04:31 AM
Exactly,that's why I was trying to determine how the readings were taken.
Geo

Old 03-04-15, 04:31 AM
But when I hook the white wire up to the dishwasher it stays hot all the way to the buss in panel box. There is no way to turn the dishwasher off. There is no switch.

Old 03-04-15, 04:34 AM
So are you reading between the neutral from the DW to the neutral block in the panel?
Geo

Old 03-04-15, 04:46 AM
Yes, I am reading the whole way back from dishwasher to the box.

Again, as stated, when I hook it into the old receptacle in basement it works...

Old 03-04-15, 05:13 AM
One last attempt, before you hooked up the DW to your new feed ,did you check for 120 between Hot and Neutral,and Hot and Ground?
Geo

Old 03-04-15, 05:21 AM
I did not. I don't have a multimeter. I've done this a hundred times with washing machines, refrigerators, etc. I just don't understand why it's this difficult.

Old 03-04-15, 06:42 AM
It shouldn't be that difficult. Perhaps you could provide a few photos?

Old 03-04-15, 06:52 AM
The dishwasher does not have a off switch. It has a start button that does not work when I hook it up to direct feed from box, only when I hook It up to an outlet in the basement. I am very sure that the neutral is connected to the buss.

I agree it can't be this difficult! I am at a total loss.

Old 03-04-15, 07:05 AM
Have you tried a different breaker? Are you positive it is the correct breaker for your panel? Just because it snaps in place doesn't necessarily mean it is making electrical contact. Perhaps you should try the breaker that is feeding the old box. Grasping at straws here.

Old 03-04-15, 09:20 AM
Group Moderator
I did not. I don't have a multimeter.
Well you need one. Only $8-$15 for an analog multimeter (not digital) and you can start to actually find out what is going on. The non contact tester will not tell you what is going on.

Old 03-04-15, 10:32 AM
But when I hook the white wire up to the dishwasher it stays hot all the way to the buss in panel box. There is no way to turn the dishwasher off. There is no switch.
I couldn't agree more with Ray. Till you throw the non-contact tester away and get a meter, you will never understand what is going on.

Old 03-04-15, 10:39 AM
Group Moderator
Let's take a step back and start over. Here's what I under stand:

You ran a new circuit from the electrical panel using some type of cable (Romex/MC, etc.) directly to the dishwasher.

Under the dishwasher you connected the black wire to the black wire, the white wire to the white wire, and the ground wire to the ground wire or ground screw.

At the panel you connected the black wire to a new circuit breaker, the white wire to the neutral bus, and the ground to the neutral bus (if its main panel) or ground bus.

Any and all of the old wiring that was connected to the dishwasher previously has been disconnected.

Is all the above correct?

Old 03-04-15, 05:05 PM
That is all correct, it's 14-2 Romex

Old 03-04-15, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
From my post #10:
Try your cable in a different known working 15 amp breaker. Redo your connection to the neutral bar. Connect a receptacle to the cable at the dishwasher and plug in a lamp to test.
Try that test and tell us the outcome.

Old 03-04-15, 05:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm just going to step in for a moment, because you have plenty of help.
Do a simple test. (the unit works from J-box, but not new run)

Determine which breaker J-box is on. Temporarily disconnect hot from that breaker and connect your new run hot to it. This is a known working breaker.

Ray already suggested this but you didn't report back the results.

EDIT: Ray got in ahead of me, but I'm going to leave my post here, just to emphasize the point.