GCIF outlet won't reset

Old 03-06-15, 11:30 AM
GCIF outlet won't reset

I just put in a new dishwasher and after turning back on the power on the breaker 3 out of 4 of the GCIF plugs won't reset. I flipped the power once on all the breakers on the house, and it got one of the them unstuck. So now 2 out of 4 are working. The two that don't work are on opposites walls, but across from one another, if that makes sense. Both are on either side of the sink opposite walls, the other two are near the entrance to the kitchen but on opposite walls. Any ideas that might be able to help me out here?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-15, 11:47 AM
Group Moderator
Have you verified with a multimeter they are getting power. (A non contact tester won't work.). Pull the receptacle out but still connected and measure the voltage from silver to brass on the line side of the receptacle.

There normally should only be one GFCI receptacle per breaker. Are there more then on per breaker?*

*Multiple GFCI receptacles on one breaker aren't wrong, just not usually done and require different connection for the GFCI receptacles.

Old 03-06-15, 11:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
#1 Dishwasher should have been on it's own 20 amp. circuit, not tied into over counter outlets.
100% sure you have your line and loads are connected to the correct sides?
All it takes is one loose connection to trip a GFI.
100% sure the GFI has incoming power, no power there not going to reset.
If we knew your location someone could advise if a dishwasher in your area even needs to be GFI protected.
Leaving out your location in your profile often leads to lots of other questions.

Old 03-07-15, 07:03 AM
I just put in a new dishwasher and after turning back on the power on the breaker 3 out of 4 of the GCIF plugs won't reset.
The description of your problem sounds as if the dishwasher is not on a dedicated circuit, that at least some of the GFCI receptacles are incorrectly wired and there is a problem with the connection you made to the new dishwasher.