This GFCI is driving me insane.

Old 03-07-15, 11:05 AM
This GFCI is driving me insane.

Hello everyone.

This morning I decided to change my old ''Razor only'' outlet to a GFCI one.
I thought it would take me 10 minutes, and I am now going on two hours.
I don't understand what the heck is going on here.

The GFCI is to go before a switch. Hot wire on hot side, white wire on ground side, back to the switch, and off to the light.

This is what I thought it would be. I plugged all of this into the line side (not the load side.

No matter how much I try, I can't get the god forsaken thing to work unless there is something plugged in to it and turned on.

Can anyone please, please explain to me what I'm doing wrong here?

I'm in the midst of a major renovation project, and I don't have alot of experience, but everything I touch seems to come with a crazy set of complications.

I really appreciate your help.
Thanks
Nic

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-15, 11:27 AM
What is a Razor only receptacle?was the switched wired from it originally?will the GFCI without the switch/light connected to it?not sure if this link will help,send a pic of your install so we can see what you have, you do not have to control that GFCI with a switch as you will see in this link.
http://www.electrical-online.com/how...e-with-a-gfci/
Geo

Old 03-07-15, 11:37 AM
Group Moderator
I decided to change my old ''Razor only'' outlet
Did you remove the isolation transformer?
The GFCI is to go before a switch.
Normally it goes after the switch. That way you aren't left in the dark if the GFCI trips.
Hot wire on hot side, white wire on ground side, back to the switch, and off to the light.
Doesn't sound correct. No mention of line and load sides of the GFCI and sounds like you connected neutral to ground.

Do you even have a ground. If the wiring is old enough to have a shaver receptacle I doubt it. If you have BX cable cable that old does not have a ground. Since you are remodeling the bathroom needs to be brought up to code. That means a dedicated 20 amp grounded circuit.

Old 03-07-15, 11:47 AM
Sorry Ray, I do have 3 wire (as in it has a ground) I just didn't mention it.

That being said, if it's supposed to go after the switch, is this the part where you tell me I'm not supposed to be using a dimmer switch? And does that mean that if the switch is off, so is the outlet? I don't plan to shave in the dark or anything, that last question is just out of curiosity.

Everything is connected to the line side, not the load.

Old 03-07-15, 01:00 PM
Wow.

I just tried again wiring it in the same way I tried the very first time this morning, except with a normal switch, and everything worked on the first try.

Thank to both of you for replying.

I'm a boob.

Old 03-07-15, 02:05 PM
Group Moderator
It works and that is good but is it code compliant and wired according to best practices? See my previous post.

Old 03-07-15, 02:36 PM
yes, as I was explaining, it has a ground and a dedicated circuit