Where does my extra circuit breaker lead?

Old 03-07-15, 09:34 PM
Where does my extra circuit breaker lead?

I am trying to map and label my breaker box and I have identified where every circuit breaker but one goes. With that one breaker turned off (I have always kept it off because I wasn't sure where it went), I have checked every light, smoke detector, fan and outlet in the home (everything in the home has power with this breaker switched off) but I can't identify what circuit this breaker leads to. It is one half of a 15 amp piggyback circuit breaker and it does have a wire connected to it. Any suggestions on something I can do to trace this wire without tearing into the wall?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-15, 09:56 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Mark it as spare and keep it turned off. It's either really a spare or you'll one day find something dead.

Old 03-08-15, 03:07 AM
Radon fan, attic fan, air exchanger (HRV), or damper control. Maybe a light in the attic or outside, like xmas lights. Wired smoke detectors or CO detectors. Sump pump. Electronic air filter.

There are signaling devices that can be attached to a wire and then traced through the walls, maybe a rental place.

Being a dual breaker it is probably not part of the original wiring and possible home owner installed, especially if not labeled. How old is the house?

And another welcome to the forum.

Bud

Old 03-08-15, 10:16 AM
Group Moderator
You could flip it on and measure with a clamp on amp meter to see if something is drawing power. Do you have a door chime?

Old 03-08-15, 07:32 PM
I was thinking it could maybe be for an outside receptacle or even a septic system aereation pump.