S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plug replacement flat 3 wire cord

I need to replace fridge plug.

The 3 wire power cord is flat, similar to this:
Name:  cord.jpg
Views: 4422
Size:  4.0 KB

The replacement plugs I have seen at the hardware store have a rounded entry point where the plug clamps to the cable with a grommet. This cord is flat and square though.

What type of plug replacement can I use then?

My other option is a $100 wiring harnass kit direct from whirlpool where I would plug in the new cable inside the cabinet with a molex connector. The fridge is 8 years old so I am not sure that is a very smart option.

Old 03-14-15, 06:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 746 Votes on 685 Posts
Just search the web or Amazon. I found 90 degree 3 prong plugs in both places most seem to be made by Leviton.

Old 03-14-15, 06:35 AM
S
Yes, I "googled" it. I cannot find one for a flat cable as pictured. All of them have rounded grommet area where the plug clamps to the cable.

Also... Im thinking they are not intended to be replaced. I am assuming the conductors are molded into the cable itself... as opposed to having individual, insulated conductors inside.

Last edited by superjojo; 03-14-15 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-14-15, 07:58 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You could buy a new cord set instead of replacing just the plug. More work to replace but does a good job.

Old 03-14-15, 08:14 AM
S
You could buy a new cord set instead of replacing just the plug.
Yes I could, but as stated, that harness set is about 100 bucks.

Old 03-14-15, 08:34 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
No, Just cut the cord from the harness inside the refrigerator and splice on a cord set. You may need to add a junction box to the frame. Or what I'd probably do is wrap the cord where it enters the plug with enough tape so the strain relief clamp has a good grip.

Old 03-14-15, 10:54 AM
S
Yes, I could lap off the cord and splice a new cable to it too.... but I don't think underwriters labratory or whirlpool would agree.

Still wondering what the proper replacement plug would be for a flat, 3 wire appliance cord.

Old 03-14-15, 11:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 746 Votes on 685 Posts
If you are looking for something with a UL approval then you might end up having to spend the $100. Or you can look at the replacement plug options and see if they can still perform the task you need. Even a round strain relief can sometimes grip a flat cord. Or, you could slit the flat cord near the end to allow the three conductors to be moved forming a triangular shape that can be better gripped by the round strain relief. After all, a strain relief is there to prevent the cord from pulling out or damaging the plug. Tucked away safely behind a fridge it's likely to not get touched again for years.

Old 03-14-15, 11:36 AM
S
Let me ask this, my reason for wanting to replace the cord in the first place...

The ground prong appears to have been bent upwards a bit. In fact I may have done it intentionally years ago when it wasn't inserting into an old outlet quite so smoothly.

If you grasp the ground pin with your fingers you can slightly jiggle it.

The bending of the ground pin however, does not interfere with inserting the plug... when you do so it bends back a bit. In addition to that, I tested for grounding with my multimeter and their is continuity between the pin, the fridge chasis and the electrical system.

So perhaps this is a non issue? Thoughts?

Old 03-14-15, 12:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,322 Votes on 1,222 Posts
If you measured proper grounding on the frame of the fridge then don't mess with the plug.

There are a few plugs that will work on a flat cord for future reference.
amazon/Leviton 5266-CA 15 Amp, 125 Volt, Angle Plug, Straight Blade, Industrial Grade
amazon/Leviton-515AN-Angle-grounding-White/dp/B00004YUKX/

Old 03-14-15, 01:18 PM
S
Where do you see that those Levitons are compatible with flat cords?

Pass Seymore makes an identical looking 90 plug as the one in your link. In the directions to that device, it says it is only for ROUND cable. I assume the Levitons are the same unless your seeing something that says otherwise.

Old 03-14-15, 01:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,322 Votes on 1,222 Posts
They aren't specified for one type of cable. I carry them and use a rubber grommet if I have a fit issue.

It this was a plug removed on a daily basis then it would be a different story. Then you'd need to find something custom designed to fit flat cable and be right angle. The only right angle version I've seen was injection molded..... not screw together.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: