Surge suppression for refrigerator

Old 03-14-15, 10:20 AM
Surge suppression for refrigerator

Not counting whole house surge suppression, I am curious, how many of you use a point of use surge protector for your refrigerator?

I bought a single outlet, Monster brand (15A 1800W) surge arrestor that says its for household appliance (like micros and toasters no mention of fridges).

I am leary to put it in use though at my fridge, thinking the inrush current of the compressor will activate the arrestor or perhaps the inrush current which certainly exceeds the 15A rating for a split second will otherwise damage the unit.

Is your icebox plugged into a surge strip?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-15, 12:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't answer the electronic theory behind surge suppression.
In over 14 years of kitchen remodels and seeing all kinds of fridges, never seen one with protection.

Old 03-14-15, 01:26 PM
Never seen one on a fridge before.not sure if that sort of inrush would cause the surge protector to operate, surge suppressors limit the spike coming in on the line.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Geo

Old 03-14-15, 07:10 PM
I am a firm believer in adding whole house protection at the service panel, but a surge receptacle would also be an acceptable option although I have never seen one for a refrigerator before.

Old 03-14-15, 07:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I just have a surge breaker at the panel. No additional for the refrigerator.

Old 03-15-15, 05:35 AM
The inrush of current as the refrigerator starts up will not damage the surge suppressor.

Actually some refrigerators create surges of their own, usually not large enough to affect anything else, notably when they shut off. Surge suppressors elsewhere in your electrical system protect electronics plugged in elsewhere.

Old 03-17-15, 10:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I too am a believer in whole house surge protection. For standard refrigerators, I think that's more than sufficient. Though nowadays, some fridges with touchscreen panels and microprocessor control, those might be worth some extra point-of-use protection.

I don't see any harm in using a surge protector for the fridge. I wouldn't recommend a power-strip type protector, as that will just collect dust and be a cord-pinch-hazard while rolling in the fridge, but a plug-in-type should be fine.

You will want to check it occasionally though. Surge protectors are designed to take the brunt of the surge and may stop working after a large event or many smaller events. You'll want to know that and replace it if that time comes.

Old 03-17-15, 11:50 AM
Old 03-17-15, 02:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
MOV based surge protectors are wired in parallel with the load and only begin conducting (activate) when there is higher-than-normal voltage on the line relative to ground (or neutral depending on the design). In-rush current from a motor starting up is associated with lower-than-normal voltage. Two virtually opposite phenomena. The surge protector would be unaffected by the motor start up.

Surge protectors are most effective when located as close as possible to low impedance earth grounding, thus giving the diverted surge energy a safe place to go that is outside of the house. The best grounding available in a typical residence is at the main electrical panel. No surge protector in the house, whether built-in to a receptacle or plug strip, will be anywhere near as effective as one installed in the main panel.