Need help with homemade generator project.

Old 03-14-15, 02:16 PM
Need help with homemade generator project.

Hello family,

this is my first post! I am making a magnetic generator on my own. My stator is 17 inches diameter with 8 coils, number 13AWG wire fixed in place. My left and right side rotors have "8" 1 1/2 round by 1/2 thick Neodymium magnets each, total 16 magnets. The rotors spin on my 1 inch diameter steel shaft which is just temporarily powered by a 1/2 hp electric motor for testing only. The rotors are "as close as possible" to each side of the stator without interruption.

I turn on the motor and wait for it to power up just fine, spinning the rotors fast and good. As it spins, I place my clamp meter near" the right side rotor then the left side rotor for readings. The right side reads 190.0 ACA and left side 150.6, ACA both being the highest of the readings as it constantly fluctuates with different readings while spinning.

MY CLAMP METER DIAL IS SELECTED IN THE ACA MODE FOR AC CURRENT. I THEN SWITCH THE METER DIAL TO ACV, FOR AC VOLTAGE, AND IT SHOWS NOTHING AT ALL, NOT INDICATING ANY VOLTAGE WHATSOEVER COMING FROM THE COILS.

It is only showing the ac current NOT voltage. Is this normal? What do I need or do to get the AC VOLTAGE to read out on my clamp meter??? in this test.

I am testing as I go from step to step as a learning process. ANY help here is a big plus. I want this to be an AC generator only, not DC.

Thank you
Earl!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-15, 02:47 PM
Are you driving a load? You can string up some incandescent bulbs.

Old 03-14-15, 02:49 PM
8 coils I would assume then 4 pairs which seems odd we would normally aim at three phase not four so I wonder how connected and spaced?

I have made a single phase alternator from an old truck alternator the British CAV alternator had two versions and by mixing and matching you could build a single phase model.

Permanent magnets are used with small wind chargers and bicycle hub dynamos (which were really alternators) but for larger units it's rare. In fact I only know of one which was designed to power an oil pump. It was built on the end of the train of rotating devices first a gas turbine then steam turbine then output side of a rotating diode alternator then exciter side and finally the permanent magnet generator that powered one of the three lub oil pumps. It was around 10kVA with the whole generator having a 400MW output.

With the number of magnets and coils the frequency would be rather high and only the Aero industry uses generators of such a high frequency. So in real terms the only way to use a generator like this would be to convert to DC and then use an inverter to return output to AC.

Clearly to measure amps it must feed into a load but you give no details of the load. As a college project OK but however configured unlikely to have any use full job it can do.

With no load you can get silly voltages the one I was referring to was 11kV and at voltages like that you don't get a second chance. I would say you need to consult your peers before you cause some damage or injury.

Old 03-14-15, 02:58 PM
Meter

What is the make and model of your meter?

Old 03-14-15, 10:53 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

We're missing some important information. I don't think you're using the AC amp meter correctly as you couldn't be seeing 150A. Maybe 150 milliamps.

We would definitely need to see a picture or two of what you are working on there to help you better.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 03-15-15, 05:34 AM
The clamp is used to measure current. The leads are used to measure voltage.

Old 03-21-15, 09:23 AM
Hello Pete, hope all is well in NJ !!! I am originally from Trenton, please don't hold that against me. Now living in Virginia, senior and retired. I want to say thank you so much for answering my help request on my the generator project I am building. I am "some what" electrically minded, " but have a very long way to go. I respect your concern and help and answers, thank you sir!!!

I have attached for your reference drawing of the generator and the way it is set up now. There is NO load going to it, not there yet. All I have done is make the rotors, stator, coils, magnets on a rotating shaft, I use an electric motor to start with!! Once I get the motor started, it turns the shaft, which turns the rotors outside the "stator which is stationary." I have a clamp meter, then as the rotors are spinninng, I hold "near" the rotors in the ACA position. I get a reading at that point on the clamp meter of 310. I believe "it is current", I don't know for sure. Both the right and left side rotors are producing "current" in the ACA position. I will turn the dial to ACV to "see if any voltage", and use the probes, and nothing!! No reading, is at zero. I have a second meter, a green lee 20, I set it at ACV as well, use the probes and shows nothing. It is very obvious I am not producing any voltage, just current which shows on the clamp meter. Again Pete, this is just the beginning construction stage of this project. View the drawings and see if you can tell me what I need and need to do here to "produce the ACV I need for my home. I deeply appreciate your kindness and wanting to help, I sure need it!! Thanks God Bless Pete!!!!!!!!!! EarlName:  GENERATOR FRONT VIEW DIAGRAM A.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  26.7 KBName:  GENERATOR MAGNET POSITION, COILS ETC  B.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  21.3 KBName:  GENERATOR DIAGRAM C.jpg
Views: 1701
Size:  13.1 KB

Old 03-21-15, 09:36 AM
Group Moderator
Ok.... I'm not quite sure of your design there but you aren't producing current.

What is happening is you are using a clamp around style inductive ampmeter that detects a magnetic field. When you have current flowing thru a conductor... it creates a magnetic field around the conductor. When you put the meter over the conductor it detects that magnetic field and converts it to an amperage reading.

In your case, the meter is picking up the magnetic field from your project. You can't have a current flow without a load. You will want to use your meter set to AC voltage.

I'm not a design engineer but I'd think the gap between the stator and magnets is too wide.

Old 03-21-15, 11:32 AM
Generator

Thank you Pete for responding back.

Yes, I had the meter set to "ac voltage, from the ACA setting and nothing". That was how I knew I was not getting any voltage. You are right about the magnetic field the meter is picking up, "through the clamp". I then used this same meter and turned the dial to the ac voltage setting and "used the probes", not the clamp part, nothing, no reading.

Regarding spacing between the rotor and stator, it is "as close as possible", roughly 1/4 inch as to not interfere with each other. I indicated that in my drawing A.

What would be my next step Pete to get voltage??? You say no load no voltage??

How would I do that?? What do I need and how??

Thanks

Old 03-21-15, 01:18 PM
You should get voltage without a load. If you don't your not producing any electricity. How is your stator wound? My guess is you just have one large coil of wire which will not work. If you had one smaller coil of wire centered around where the magnets are I think that would produce voltage. Then you can add more of those small coils to get more power.

Old 03-21-15, 01:25 PM
Group Moderator
There are a lot of things at play here. There is getting the magnets lined up correctly with the stator as well as each other.

Also... you mentioned you wound the coils in #13 wire. I think that may be too large a gauge. You may have to wind with more wire at a smaller gauge.

You'll need to keep you AC meter connected and set to its lowest setting while testing.

Old 03-21-15, 02:06 PM
Generator Help!

Hello DMC Man!!
I want to say thank you so much for answering my help request on my the generator project I am building. I am "some what" electrically minded, " but have a very long way to go. I respect your concern and help and answers, thank you sir!!!

I have attached for your reference drawing of the generator and the way it is set up now. There is NO load going to it, not there yet. All I have done is make the rotors, stator, coils, magnets on a rotating shaft, I use an electric motor to start with!! Once I get the motor started, it turns the shaft, which turns the rotors outside the "stator which is stationary." I have a clamp meter, then as the rotors are spinninng, I hold "near" the rotors in the ACA position. I get a reading at that point on the clamp meter of 310. I believe "it is current", I don't know for sure. Both the right and left side rotors are producing "current" in the ACA position. I will turn the dial to ACV to "see if any voltage", and use the probes, and nothing!! No reading, is at zero. I have a second meter, a green lee 20, I set it at ACV as well, use the probes and shows nothing. It is very obvious I am not producing any voltage, just current which shows on the clamp meter. Again Pete, this is just the beginning construction stage of this project. View the drawings and see if you can tell me what I need and need to do here to "produce the ACV I need for my home. I deeply appreciate your kindness and wanting to help, I sure need it!! Thanks Earl!Name:  GENERATOR MAGNET POSITION, COILS ETC  B.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  21.3 KBName:  GENERATOR DIAGRAM C.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  13.1 KB

Attached Images  
Old 03-21-15, 03:59 PM
My question is...why? Are you doing this as strictly a learning experience or do you have some end use in mind?

Old 03-21-15, 04:04 PM
Sorry my question on the coils. I re-read your first post and see you have 8 coils. Did you by any chance wire those 8 coils in parallel? That would probably cause you to read 0 volts.

Old 03-21-15, 04:43 PM
Hello DMC man, thanks!

No sir, I wired them in series. Also, I forwarded my drawings directly to you a while ago. You think if I wired them in parallel, I would get voltage A/C?

I will try sir, thanks again, Earl

Old 03-21-15, 04:47 PM
Hi FURD, Learning experience and with "definite" end use for my home!!

Old 03-22-15, 01:22 AM
Ok your coils are wired in series but each one is reversed winding direction. I'm guessing what is happening is your getting reversed voltage generated on every other coil. Since the coils are in series that results in zero voltage.

I can see your way of thinking on the design you did since every other magnet is reversed. Maybe your even getting a DC output voltage. I would think each coil is generating some voltage but it's hard to picture what voltage polarity each is doing at the same time. Without using an oscilloscope to test that, you may just have to experiment.

Old 03-22-15, 09:23 AM
Experimentation to the end result of learning is always a fine idea but I cannot imagine ever building a generator from itch to actually accomplish anything as practical. Just my opinion and I have nothing more to add.

Old 03-22-15, 11:07 AM
I really like the idea of building a generator. I don't think this current design will produce much power but that's the fun of it. When he get's it working, I think each coil will need a core to increase the power. Now what size core would give the most power? Experiment.