New Landscape Lighting Questions

Old 03-15-15, 05:43 PM
New Landscape Lighting Questions

So we are looking to add low voltage landscape lighting to our house. By the front door of the house there is already a switch for the outside porch lights. The lights are under a roof however. I know I am not supposed to have more than one circuit within a switch box but I'd like the switch for the transformer to be in the same box as the existing switch. What I am wondering is what I can do to make that happen.

My first thought is to convert the existing circuit to a GFCI circuit and just add in a run from the switch box to the outdoor transformer. The other idea would be to put the transformer inside the house and just run the low voltage to the outside. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-15, 06:07 PM
Group Moderator
I am not supposed to have more than one circuit within a switch box
No rule against two (or more) circuits. In fact it is common in certain circumstances. Do you mean a 120 volt switch for the primary side of the LV transformer but low voltage lights are not usually controlled by a switch. Can you tell us more about your plans.

Old 03-15-15, 07:04 PM
Yeah I was thinking about switching the 120 side so that I could turn them off if I wanted. Front lights being on a photocell could be OK, but the patio lights in back I'd like to switch. Switching the 120 seems like the appropriate thing to do.

I'm also considering adding a outdoor 120 outlet in a bed (for Christmas lights).

Old 03-15-15, 11:05 PM
Group Moderator
Keep the front and back lights on different transformers. You could consider adding a timer next to your existing lighting switch. The timer can be set up for manual operation or multi programmed lighting times. The link below is one of my recommendations.

ST01 Series