Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Cable securing - Horizontal through studs and multiple gang plastic boxes

Old 03-20-15, 02:35 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Question 1 - Is cabling secured making a long (25') run horizontally through studs?

Meaning, through holes I'm about to drill in the studs. Code says to fasten every 4.5 feet to a surface over which it runs. Since I'm more running "through" surfaces rather than "over" them, I'm confused whether this means to fasten during the 25' run or not.

I know it has to be secured once it starts moving vertically over the studs. (Down from the panel, down to the outlet box.)

Question 2 - Code says when using a single gang plastic box, the cable doesn't have to be anchored if it is supported within 8" of the box and at least 1/4" of the sheath extends into the box. What do I do with two gang plastic boxes? Have I overlooked a cable clamp meant for plastic boxes?

Old 03-20-15, 02:37 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

1. No
2. Sorry, not sure I'm understanding this one - can you explain?

Old 03-20-15, 02:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The remodel plastic boxes have integrated clamps. You need to punch it out a little to break the factory nibs, but after that you can push a cable through and it will hold.

If using new work boxes, the knockout will offer no strain relief. The staple within 8" is sufficient.

Technically, when remodeling and using "old work" boxes, no securing (stapling) of cable is required for the inaccessible parts of the run.

Last edited by pcboss; 03-20-15 at 05:10 PM. Reason: technical correction
Old 03-20-15, 05:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Device boxes larger than single gang have clamps for the cables. The cables for those need to be secured within 12".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: