Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Kitchen wired wrong when built - where does the line start?

Old 03-21-15, 09:52 AM
Received 23 Upvotes on 20 Posts

House is 30 yrs old and the kitchen was wired wrong - all 8 kitchen outlets are on a single 20a circuit, so if i run the microwave, toaster oven and toaster together, the breaker pops. How do i figure out where the run starts so i can split the outlets into two lines?

Old 03-21-15, 10:18 AM
Received 187 Upvotes on 168 Posts
House is 30 yrs old and the kitchen was wired wrong - all 8 kitchen outlets are on a single 20a circuit, so if i run the microwave, toaster oven and toaster together, the breaker pops.
You are overloading the circuit. It wasn't wrong back when it was wired. Times change and codes are updated every three years. Even with a second circuit, if you combine any two of those appliances on the same circuit and you'll likely trip the breaker; you may need three circuits.

How do i figure out where the run starts so i can split the outlets into two lines?
One way is to pull out and disconnect all the receptacles and check all the boxes for the hot leg coming from the panel. There may be other ways, but impossible to say for sure without being there. Do you have a basement?

Old 03-21-15, 10:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 893 Upvotes on 754 Posts
To add to Joe's questions: What wiring method do you have? Romex? Flex conduit? This will also determine how difficult it would be to add a circuit (or two).

Also do you have any breakers that "don't do anything" There is a chance that somebody mis-wired the receptacles when they changes the color. Look in the receptacle boxes and see if you have a red and black wire.

Old 03-21-15, 10:50 AM
thanks... all are romex and circuits feed up into the attic, then go to the breaker box. Looks like I'll need to run prob 2 wires from the main panel and split the outlets up... and i guess i'll have to disconnect each receptacle to figure out how they were connected... i was hoping for some trick to easily figure that out, but i guess not. The house had electric heat originally, then disconnected, so i have plenty of space to put a couple of new lines... just pull out a 220 heat breaker and put in two 120 breakers... prob GFI.

Old 03-21-15, 10:52 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Try to visualize where the closest outlet is to the panel,then look at the outlet placement they should be looped in a logical direction, shut the power off and pull out the receptacle that seems to be in the middle of the layout,remove the conductors from the receptacle and turn the power on and see how many receptacles are on,by process of Elimination you should be able to split up the circuit.
It's not as hard as it sounds.
Geo.

Old 03-26-15, 10:39 AM
well caca... i discovered there ARE two lines to the kitchen outlets, every other outlet is wired to a circuit. The reason the breaker popped is, coincidentally, all big power appliances were plugged into the same circuit... every other plug. Should have no prob now that I split them up.
Just goes to show... investigate before tearing things apart.

Old 03-26-15, 11:46 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Good find, good news, good wiring method. Thanks for letting us know what you found.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: