Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Grounding system - Single grounding wire to meter and doubling back to rods?

Old 03-22-15, 11:53 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Installing new service panel. Existing grounding system is inadequate (ground to water pipe no where near meter and no rods), so removing and installing new.

Burying two 8' 3/4" galvanized steel rods outside, spaced at least 6' apart.

Running a 4AWG bare copper grounding wire. (Service wire is 2/0 AWG copper.)

Question 1 - House is a split level, with water meter in basement on a wall that borders the half underground level. With code saying the ground wire must be "continuous", am I correct in thinking the ground wire runs from the panel outside to the first rod, to the second rod, and doubling back inside near the panel (but not connected to it a second time) and to the water meter? (Rather than two separate ground wire runs from panel, one to water meter, and the other outside to the rods?)

Question 2 - I see I'm supposed to install a jumper ground wire around the water meter. Is the continuous ground wire installed on the "city" side of the water meter, or the "house" side of the water meter? I'd assume it's best to be on the "city" side.

This jumper ground wire is part of what confuses me a little bit, wondering if "continuous" counts if multiple wires are ground clamped together. Otherwise, I'd think you wouldn't want to use a jumper ground wire, and bond the single ground wire to the water pipes twice, once on each side of the meter.

EDIT: Panel to electrical meter is about 5'. Panel to water meter is about 30'.

EDIT 2: Or does the ground wire need to run first to meter, since that's the primary, and doubling back the 30' to go outside to the rods, since those are secondarily required?

Old 03-22-15, 12:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,051 Upvotes on 3,634 Posts
You can use #6 for the grounds rods. That wire is continuous from one rod to the other rod to the neutral/ground bar in the panel.

Then using #4 from the same neutral/ground bar in the panel to one clamp on one side of the water meter to a second clamp on the opposite side of the water meter.

Name:  ground.jpg
Views: 9553
Size:  16.7 KB

You will also need a jumper at the water heater.

Name:  whground.jpg
Views: 10000
Size:  4.4 KB

Old 03-22-15, 03:29 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 285 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Crimped or other "nonremovable" splice connections can be used and the wire will be considered continuous.

The wire from panel neutral bus to the water pipe needs to first reach the pipe upstream of the meter, within 5' of where that pipe exits the house underground. It may then go to the water pipe on the downstream side of the meter, or a separate ground wire can connect the upstream and downstream sides of the meter.

Old 03-22-15, 05:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 201 Upvotes on 176 Posts
The water line and rods do not have to connect together with the same conductor.

Old 03-23-15, 10:17 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
The wire from panel neutral bus to the water pipe needs to first reach the pipe upstream of the meter, within 5' of where that pipe exits the house underground. It may then go to the water pipe on the downstream side of the meter, or a separate ground wire can connect the upstream and downstream sides of the meter.
Is this something new in the 2014 NEC? I have never heard of this before. My local AHJ and all others I am familiar with require the ground wire to be continuous and be looped around the water meter AND any pressure reducing valves that are installed with one side being a union. The intent is to not lose the grounding of the entire water system when a meter is removed for replacement or to be changed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: