Mini arc furnace

Old 03-24-15, 11:06 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mini arc furnace

I've seen Grand Thompson do it in one of his videos and I would like to recreate it, but he is using a modified microwave transformer and I've read that it is not really recommended if you don't know what you are doing.

Link: https://youtu.be/d5pGN6pqkyY?t=35s

What I am looking for is a transformer I could buy that would fit my needs.
I'm living in Canada so if it's simpler for you just tell me the specs of the transformer that i would need and I'll try to find a place where I could get one.

Here's a video on the arc furnace.

Link: https://youtu.be/VTzKIs19eZE?t=2m43s

Old 03-24-15, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That transformer delivered +/- 800A at 2v. That would be a costly transformer to buy.
It's very similar to a welding transformer but lower voltage and higher current.

Start by looking on eBay for high current low voltage transformers.

Old 03-24-15, 11:53 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I just searched for microwave transformer on ebay and found many like in the video. Thanks i just have to find the other parts. Have a nice day

Old 03-24-15, 01:09 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Many decades ago I would make arc lamps using a glass jar with two pieces of steel strapping banding bent over the side of the jar. Connect one band (electrode) to the power, the other band to one carbon and the other carbon back to the power. Fill the jar with water and add salt until you can get a continuous arc.

The jar of salt water is acting as a ballast resistor and the amount of salt you add controls the current to the arc. You DO need to keep an eye on the temperature of the water as it will rise with continuous use, the bigger the bottle the better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: