Limit switches for custom gate operation

Old 03-23-15, 03:26 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Limit switches for custom gate operation

Hello I hope that I am in the right forum here. If not I apologize.

I am building a farm gate which lays horizontal when closed and vertical when open, like a parking lot gate. I am using a 12 volt winch to lift and raise it along with a handlebar switch which I have mounted on a pole. I also am using a remote control to open and close the gate from the tractor. My problem is need to put two limit switches on the mechanism. One to stop the winch when it is fully open and one to stop the winch when it is fully closed. I have searched everywhere, talked with local electricians with no result. I was encouraged to try this forum. I am looking for the cheapest system possible which will do the job. I have a few car door jamb limit switches I was hoping to use as they seem quite rugged and reliable but I cannot figure out how to wire them up for this goal. At tis point I'm not sure if it is possible. If not any ideas on what I could use. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated as I am going nuts trying to figure this out.

Thank you in advance

Mike

Old 03-23-15, 04:42 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Your title lines says "wiring limit switches together", but, if I'm following you, that's not really the case, so may be the reason that you didn't get an answer locally. You have a raise circuit and a lower circuit; right? Now it may be that changing the direction is as easy as switching the polarity, but I think the easiest way is to think of it as two circuits, and I believe that you are going to need two switches; one with the positive and negative wires reversed from the other. So, you have a raise circuit with a normally closed (NC) switch, that opens when the gate is fully open, and a lower circuit with a NC switch that opens when the gate is fully closed. Both of these switches would be momentary, so that they reset by default.

Old 03-23-15, 09:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
One of my jobs is title editing across the board so I edited your title to better reflect what you are trying to do.

We can definitely help you but I have a few concerns. The biggest is that a gate is heavy and the control system must be reliable. If your winch doesn't stop when it should someone can get hurt.

For a limit or end stop switch to work reliably the gate MUST open and close to the same location every time. The gate can't wobble or lean because it can miss the switches.

Toss the car jamb switches. They are useless in the outside weather. You don't want a mechanical switch...... where the gate touches the switch. You want a magnetic switch where the gate only has to be near the switch. I'd recommend a switch like shown in the link below. You can search for them on eBay and at other places. It's a wide gap switch that works up to 3" apart.

We know what you want to do.... what are you working with ? You said remote control. Make and model or link to it ? A winch is a high current draw..... how are you connecting the remote to it..... relays ?

GE-Security-2200-Overhead-Door-Magnetic-Contacts.pdf

Old 03-23-15, 10:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If this is just you on your own farm, good luck with your project.

If you have other people going through this gate, I hate to be a killjoy but now we run into the problem of something or someone getting caught in the gate as it's lowering like a garage door. You'll need some sort of sensor for that too.

Also winches are not built for lifting, they have no brakes. You'll need a hoist to do this right.

Old 03-24-15, 10:37 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
If you have other people going through this gate, I hate to be a killjoy but now we run into the problem of something or someone getting caught in the gate as it's lowering like a garage door. You'll need some sort of sensor for that too.
I had this same thought while reading the thread. Typically, a loop in the pavement detects the presence of a vehicle and prevents the arm from lowering till the car clears the loop.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: