Perplexing light switch question

Old 03-24-15, 07:21 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Perplexing light switch question

Hi,

I recently moved into a house and am attempting to updated a few light switches. I have a little experience doing this but not much. The switch I am trying to update is a switch that currently has two lights connected to it. I am replacing it with a switch that allows each light to have it's own switch. The current switch only has two black wires.. I am used to seeing black and white wires. The switch that I have has two black screws, two gold screws and a green screw. I am confused about how I can split the lights into the different switches with only two wires.

Thanks for your help!

Ryan

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-15, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,104 Votes on 1,024 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

There is a strong possibility that you can not split those lights. You especially can't split them up from that switch. Look into the box and tell us what other wires you see. There should be at least two white wires connected together and wire nutted off.

Old 03-24-15, 07:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums. You won't be able to separate the lights at the switch. In addition, it appears you have a 4 way switch in hand. They are used to control lights at 3 or more locations in conjuction with 3 way switches. Either that, or you have a doublr gang switch with two switches. You will need to gain access to each light and rewire it to your switch location

Old 03-24-15, 08:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,104 Votes on 1,024 Posts
Larry... I had typed up a similar reply in regards to a four way switch until I re-read the post. There is a single pole currently in place with two black wires. His new switch (in hand) is a double switch with four screw terminals.

Old 03-25-15, 03:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I gathered that, also. Thus my addition, not knowing which switch he has, but I am inclined to believe it is a double switch, also.