Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Identifying service panel manufacturer for replacement panel insert

Old 03-25-15, 09:09 AM

Help. I have a 25 y/o home with a 200 amp panel, no id visable. The inside panel is missing. Can anyone help me id this to find a replacement? I have attached photos. Thank you!Name:  image.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  49.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  51.0 KB

Last edited by Gourmetdds; 03-25-15 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Duplicate photos
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-15, 02:48 PM
What's it say on the main breaker or any of the other breakers?

Old 03-25-15, 03:10 PM
It is unlikely that you will be able to find the dead front (what the piece you require is called) but Joe's suggestion of looking at the name on the various circuit breakers is a good place to start. Also look for any stickers inside the box that have a manufacturer's name and part number.

Old 03-25-15, 03:29 PM
A closer picture of the breakers would help to identify the manufacturer. That being said, the chances of finding a replacement panel interior are slim to none, closer to none. Your best bet would be to contact a licensed contractor and get a price on replacing the entire meter/loadcenter combo.

Why do you think it needs to be replaced?

Old 03-25-15, 04:25 PM
Why do you think it needs to be replaced?
Joe, I don't think he wants to replace the guts (busbars, etc.) but just the missing dead front panel. I agree the chances of finding the panel are slim to none.

Old 03-25-15, 04:46 PM
Joe, I don't think he wants to replace the guts (busbars, etc.) but just the missing dead front panel.
I looked back again and you are right, Furd, that one went right by me.

I think the best option is to have one made.

Old 03-25-15, 06:23 PM
Id of service panel

Thanks for your advice. I am installing a solar system and the inspector is sure to ask that the panel be replaced. I think I will look at making an insert. The cost of cutting out the old panel, installing and re-wiring a new one and then repairing the stucco would be extreme. The other subpanels in the home are Westinghouse.
The breakers have the following. Type QT, Cutler hammer BR250,Challenger MG-1267 Type C and Q120 Type QP, and Ot ITE circuit breaker.
Again, Thanks for your time.

Old 03-25-15, 06:27 PM
No stickers on this side of Panel

I found some sticky residue on the tilt up cover but no ID. Could there be an ID sticker on the other side of the panel? It is secured but an electrician could open it up safely.

Old 03-25-15, 09:16 PM
Generally, all circuit breakers should be from the same manufacturer. Look at the main CB for the most likely manufacturer of your pane. Having a mix of manufacturers different CBs in the panel may also set the inspector on edge.

And yes, there is a distinct possibility that the other section has a manufacturer's label. You probably need someone from the electric utility to open that and then replace the seal.

Old 03-26-15, 06:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I am not terribly familiar with this, but from what I know the main panel often needs to be replaced when doing solar anyway to accommodate the potential overload of the bus bars. For example a 100A service from the power company, plus a 30A feed from the solar inverters has the potential of placing 130A on the bus bars. This means you need a panel that exceeds 130A rating, which is very unlikely if it was sold as a panel for a 100A service.

What I have seen once before is the homeowner (or solar contractor?) had purchased a 225A commercial rated panel and installed a 150A main breaker in it on the power company side. This allowed up to 75A of solar supply to be connected without exceeding the panel rating. There may be some other way to deal with this technologically via a smart inverter, but I don't know enough to say so definitively. Somebody who works directly in the field will know.

My best advice is to get hooked up with a contractor who has done this a lot, specifically in your area, and has a portfolio of happy customers. There are countless pitfalls which could end up being very expensive mistakes both from an equipment and permitting point of view. A guide through the process is really worth the fee in this case.

Old 03-26-15, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the tip. My 200Amp panel will do just fine, with a new dead front panel.
I will call the utility to open the other side panel to see if there is some id
Thanks to all of the responders on this thread