Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can I replace a grounded cord with a 2-wire cord for a lamp for indoor use?

Old 03-25-15, 06:00 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello DIY gang;

I purchased two hanging lamps, only to discover that they did not come with plugs or switches. I intend to install them in the kitched, replacing two old, dirty, ugly lamps that are ungrounded. I can find grounded plugs to install, but I cannot find in-line switched for a grounded wire. Can I replace the three-wire cord with a two-wire cord for indoor use?

Old 03-25-15, 06:34 PM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
If the lamps came with 3-wire cords the lamps must be grounded and you cannot replace the cord with 2-wire cord.

Old 03-25-15, 07:19 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I purchased two hanging lamps, only to discover that they did not come with plugs or switches
Sound like ceiling lights intended for mounting on a junction box. If so you are attempting to use them for a purpose they are not approved for. Could you please post a picture? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html

Old 03-26-15, 06:58 PM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
Ray, I at first thought the same thing, but then I considered what else was in the first post.

Then I assumed the grounded cord was on the fixtures. I thought it strange though that a fixture cord wouldn't have a plug.

Old 03-26-15, 07:40 PM
And I'm thinking Ebay. Hence the request for pictures.

Old 03-28-15, 02:33 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Actually, I discovered that there are, indeed, simple switches for grounded cords. This was not apparent on the packages, nor in any internet search; that is, it was not specifically addressed when I searched for "Grounded lamp in-line switch," and similar terms. All I got was switches that seemed to be only for two-wire cords.

This is the lamp I purchased:
Brushed Nickel Warehouse Shade

And this is the picture that clued me in:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]48614[/ATTACH]

I found a similar switch (bit larger, actually), and upon inspection discovered that it had cut-outs for widening the holes on the top and bottom to allow a round, grounded cord.

I was only asking this question about replacing the cord because I was desperate, and it looked like I might have to return the lamp. But looking at it closer I could see that replacing the cord would have been impossible without mutilating the fixture.

Plugs and switches installed, problem solved. Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 03-28-15, 02:45 PM
Looked at the link. Looks like some poorly designed Chinese product. (Designed by someone who couldn't afford to buy a clue.) Note the negative comments in the one star reviews. I seriously doubt it is UL approved.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: