GFI required?

Old 03-26-15, 12:56 PM
GFI required?

My son just bought an older home built in in 1981 in Orlando, Fl. I went through every circuit to correct any "abnormalities" or improper wiring details. I am unclear on one point.

As I understand it, any outlet in a garage should be GFI protected and there is the one that also leads to the two bathrooms for those outlets. Yet, there is a dedicated 20 amp. circuit with a regular outlet that serves just the washing machine, but this is in the garage itself. Should I upgrade the outlet to a 20 amp. GFI? Does the code now require this? Just want to do things the right way. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-15, 01:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Current code requires all 120V receptacles in a garage to be GFCI protected regardless of purpose. There is also a requirement that the laundry receptacle(s) be GFCI protected no matter where the laundry area is in the house. You do not need to use an actual 20A (t-slot) receptacle as 15A receptacles are allowed on general purpose circuits because they have a 20A pass-thru rating.

Old 03-26-15, 01:51 PM
Group Moderator
Ben - I thought you could put 15 amp receptacles on a 20 amp circuit only if there were two or more receptacles on the circuit. Am I mistaken about that?

Old 03-26-15, 01:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes that's correct, but a standard duplex GFCI receptacle counts as 2 outlets.

Old 03-26-15, 02:21 PM
Group Moderator
That makes sense - thank you.

Old 03-26-15, 02:28 PM
Thank you. I now see I have another task. My other son's house has the laundry room inside the house, and I know there is no GFI. Will upgrade that as well. Of course these houses were in compliance when built, but I view the upgraded code as a safety guide. Things are changed for a reason. I'll heed that.