Bathroom: Installing GFCI outlet from vanity light

Old 03-26-15, 11:30 PM
Bathroom: Installing GFCI outlet from vanity light

Hey all, I am getting around to doing some bathroom remodeling this weekend. It is a 1963 home that has never been updated, so the only outlet in the bathroom is a single 2-prong outlet at the base of the vanity light. I've included a pic of the back of it for reference.

I'd like to replace the light with something from this millenium and install two GFCI outlets side by side from the existing outlet circuit. Is this as simple as daisy chaining from the existing circuit, or is there something else I need to consider?

I am thinking to just wire nut the hot and neutral from the existing circuit, and tying into the ground that is (hopefully) inside of the existing outlet box. Run a short piece of electrical wire to the new outlet location and hooking into one outlet and running to the other. Is this correct? I've attached my proposed diagram for reference.

Thanks for your help!

Name:  IMG_20150326_224748487_HDR.jpg
Views: 1326
Size:  21.0 KB

Name:  Bathrooom.jpg
Views: 2557
Size:  16.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-15, 11:33 PM
By the way those are dust bunnies on the electrical wire, not exposed wires!!

Old 03-27-15, 03:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What you propose is viable, but it may not meet code if you are updating. The GFCI must be on a 20 amp circuit and be run with 12 gauge wiring, and the circuit must be dedicated to the bathrooms.

You would not need two GFCI receptacles. Only one would be necessary. Bring your wiring from the junction box behind the light to the first receptacle location and wire it to the LINE terminals of the GFCI. Run your daisy chain from the LOAD terminals on the GFCI to the second receptacle location and use a regular receptacle. IT will be protected from the first one. You can do this even if you do not find a grounding conductor (which I doubt exists). Use the stickers provided in the GFCI package and place them on the cover plates "GFCI Protected" and "No Grounding Condutor", so it will comply.

Old 03-27-15, 09:05 AM
Group Moderator
An ungrounded circuit can't be extended because only the existing circuit is grandfathered. Any new wiring must meet current code and you can't do that because it doesn't have a ground. Running a new grounded 20 amp circuit as suggested by Larry is your only code compliant solution if no ground.

Larry is correct that a GFCI receptacle will work without a ground but as stated at the first of his post not code compliant..

Last edited by ray2047; 03-27-15 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-27-15, 10:37 AM
Appreciated the thoughts Ray. I understand this wouldn't be code compliant, and I am ok with that for now. This is a temporary phase 1 remodel until we do the full remodel in a couple years and I am probably not going to spend the money right now to bring it up to code only to have to rewire everything when I do the full remodel.

Old 03-27-15, 10:40 AM
Much appreciated Chandler. I actually did a little more research after I posted last night and realized that I don't actually need two GFCIs. Thanks for confirming that. I haven't ever wired a GFCI so I don't know exactly what the line and load terminals look like, but it sounds pretty straight forward. Hoping there is a grounding conductor in there since the light might have one that I could tie into, but like I mentioned in my last post, if it isn't up to code, well, then I guess it just isn't up to code until I do the full remodel.

Old 03-27-15, 10:53 AM
Group Moderator
Hoping there is a grounding conductor in there since the light might have one that I could tie into
If the wiring method is conduit that is your grounding method. If the grounding method is new style armored cable (AKA BX) that is your grounding means. If the wiring method is old style BX the grounding may not be adequate. If it is NM (AKA Romex) with no ground wire (likely given the age) you have no ground.

Old 03-27-15, 04:39 PM
Good news, there actually was a grounding wire for both circuits (switch to light and the outlet). I am assuming it is ok to tie the new pigtail into the new vanity box, right?

Old 03-27-15, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Great news. Yes, you are good to go.

Old 03-30-15, 12:05 AM
So my plan for the vanity light and the circuit is to install a new work mounting box once the drywall is up. I've already got all the rough wiring done for the new circuit tail. My question is if a new work box is big enough to accomodate all the circuits and connections I need to make in there?

Total box contents would be:
-Incoming 12-3 line (I believe this is 12 gauge, but it could be 14)
-Incoming 12-2 line (Ditto)
-Outgoing 12-2 line
-Connection for the vanity light

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-30-15, 12:35 AM
Group Moderator
install a new work mounting box once the drywall is up.
A new work box needs to be installed before the Sheetrock is up.
My question is if a new work box is big enough to accomodate all the circuits and connections I need to make in there?
You can use a deep box.

Old 03-31-15, 05:30 PM
Oops, I meant old work box of course. Do they make deep old work boxes that I could use? Only reason I don't want to use a new work is because I'm not entirely sure where the mirror is gonna go yet, and thus the vanity light over top of it.

Old 03-31-15, 05:40 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, deep old work boxes (plastic) are as common as fleas on a junk yard dog.