temp power at the main

Old 03-29-15, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
temp power at the main

I am building a new house. PG&E has brought power to the meter at the property line. ultimately the house will be built another 60 feet away from the panel/meter.
For this reason the meter/main does not have distribution. BUT....I need temp power at the meter location. I was thinking of simply adding a small 70 amp 2 breaker box next to meter/main servicing 2 GFI outlets for temp power.

My question is.....can I run #2/0 from 200 amp main breaker right into a 20 amp breaker in the little sub panel? or is there some sort of "step down" in amps I need to do?

Thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-15, 04:18 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Are you saying the meter/main has no spaces for branch circuit breakers? That seems odd to me. If not then you would connect the subpanel using the tap rules. http://ecmweb.com/code-basics/unders...es-feeder-taps

Old 03-29-15, 04:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
You don't need to step down the amps, but do need to step down the wire so it fits in the breaker terminals. Most meter mains have space for breakers. You said yours does not have distribution?

Old 03-29-15, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Correct. there is only a main 200 amp breaker....no distribution. Plan was to be able to run all 200 amps to another location close to the house eventually. reason was the excess expense of having PG&E being involved in the last 60 ft run. MUCHO DINERO! but for now I need to provide temp power. maybe I should just bite the bullet and spring for a meter main that has distribution....Thanks for the replies!

Old 03-30-15, 07:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Do you have an electrical contractor lined up for building the house? You can often borrow/rent a temporary construction panel as part of the building contract for the house.

Old 03-30-15, 07:38 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Temporary Power

This may be helpful to get ideas. Also get advice from local power company.

http://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pdf...nts/025055.pdf

Old 03-30-15, 09:59 AM
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
My question is.....can I run #2/0 from 200 amp main breaker right into a 20 amp breaker in the little sub panel?
No, the subpanel will have to be 200 amp rated.