Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Weird issue with Harbor Breeze light/fan wall control switch (UC9050T)

Old 03-30-15, 12:56 PM

Up until yesterday, the switch had been working fine. Now, it's like it's losing power if it's used multiple times (3-4) within a short period. After about the 4th button push, it's completely dead. But if I let it sit for a few minutes and then try it again, it works fine, but again seems to quickly lose power after multiple button pushes, with the red LED getting dimmer with each push. It's almost like there's a battery or stored charge in the wall unit that's losing power and takes a little time to build back up, but this switch isn't battery powered. If it matters, the remote seems to work fine and doesn't have the same issue as the wall switch. Also, I have many identical switches throughout the house and none of the others behave this way.

Anybody have any suggestions about what's going on, and how to fix it?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-15, 09:52 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

You're close.... the switch does store up a charge to operate the control. It could utilize a mini capacitor called a super cap and it could very easily be bad. That would require a switch replacement as I don't think those controls are openable for service.

Old 03-30-15, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the welcome and for the response. What you described fits the scenario.
I'll have to pick up a new switch next time I'm at Lowes.