New work electrical box

Old 04-01-15, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New work electrical box

Can anyone tell me what the "hinged closure" for the carlon sno-18-R electrical box is for?

Carlon 1-Gang 18 cu. in. Shallow New Work Electrical Box-SNO-18R - The Home Depot

Don't you normally drywall first and then wire your outlets? I'm assuming the area closed by this "closure" gets dry walled over. is that not how this box works?

Last edited by djlamm; 04-01-15 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Subscribe to thread
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-15, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Allows extra cubic capacity behind the wall than you would normally get with a shallow single gang box. Portion of box covered by door is walled over. Or that is my guess.

Old 04-01-15, 03:55 PM
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
New work boxes are installed and wired prior to drywalling,that hinged cover is used because that box is only about 1 3/4" deep,you would bring your cables in and make any necessary splices and close the flap and install the drywall.pretty slick I have not seem them before.

Geo

Old 04-01-15, 05:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
Correct, the flapped cover is behind the drywall. It just allows needed space where there is no depth for a deeper box.

Old 04-01-15, 06:50 PM
Received 27 Votes on 23 Posts
What exactly is it your doing?
No way should you be dry walling then doing the wiring, that would be backwards.

Old 04-01-15, 08:05 PM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
Joe, I'm pretty sure he means running the cables into the box prior to drywall and then after the drywall is finished adding the receptacles and switches.

Old 04-01-15, 08:54 PM
Furd, that is exactly what i'm saying, so this flap/hinge doesn't make sense to me unless you are supposed to wire the receptacles/switches first and then hang drywall.

joecaption, what I'm doing is building a furred out wall in my basement using 2x4s laid flat so the resulting wall will only be. 1 1/2" thick (not including drywall). I then want to add outlets that's why I was considering this shallow box.

Old 04-01-15, 11:51 PM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
It actually does make sense. The electrical code requires a certain box volume for a specified number of conductors. That box will allow you to insert the cable prior to removing the outer sheath, staple the cable to the stud, strip off the requisite amount of sheath and then fold the individual conductors into the box. Close the flap and do the drywall work and then come back and unfold the individual conductors and make the connections. If you have any wire nuts you may then fold those conductors back and slip the wire nut into the now closed (but accessible) part of the box to give more room for the device. They make similar boxes with the side wire cavity but without the hinged cover. Those are a bit more difficult to get the cable into so the reason for the hinged flap.

Old 04-02-15, 02:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
You could also use a standard depth 4" square box and plaster rings.

Old 04-02-15, 10:35 AM
Furd, your explanation is what I was looking for, thank you!

pcboss, thanks for the comment on the plaster rings. Standing at the big box store last night, I couldn't figure out how you attach a receptacle given that the 4" square box only had screw holes in the corners. After googling "plaster rings" I think I understand now. The three employees at the store I asked were all clueless!