Need help identifying a power cord

Old 04-01-15, 06:04 PM
Need help identifying a power cord

This is a cord to a Duraflame infrared heater and I need to replace it. Notice the smaller (16ga?) red and blue wires, all of which go into a standard 3 prong plug. Never saw this before. I would like to replace the entire cord but can't find anything online. Alternatively, I could just buy the wire but I'm not sure if the red and blue wires go with the black and white. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  42.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-15, 07:50 PM
If it isn't too much hassle, could you post pictures of the heater guts to show where these wires are connected internally?
And if you still have the original cord end, try carefully cutting it open to see where the extra wires are connected.

Old 04-02-15, 04:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ohm out the red, blue and black individually from the small blade on the plug end. I think you will find them connected in some way. They will operate different parts of the heater, like controls, and other lower draw items. The black will be the main power feed. I agree, it would be great to either have pictures of the guts, or the model number so we can see what you see.

Old 04-02-15, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
If I had to make a guess...... I'd say red and blue may connect to a remote temperature sensor, possibly in the plug.

Old 04-02-15, 10:18 AM
Don't have the cord end, the dog did a nice job on it...
I'll take a pic of the inside when I get home tonight. The red and blue do connect to the board inside. Thanks to everyone!

Old 04-02-15, 05:20 PM
ok, here are some pics of the inside of the unit, where the blue and red wires attach to the board. Any suggestions?

Attached Images    
Old 04-02-15, 05:27 PM
Have you tried to contact their customer service dept. or tech support?
Geo

Old 04-02-15, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator
My bet is that the smaller wires go to a sensor of some sort molded into the plug, to detect overheating maybe?

Thats assuming that they aren't connected to one of the prongs on the plug.

Old 04-02-15, 06:35 PM
NTC when used in conjunction with electrical/electronic equipment usually means negative temperature coefficient (implied) resistor which is used as a temperature sensing device. I side with Gunguy that it is a temperature measuring device built into the plug to shut down the heater if the plug gets too warm.

I think you are going to have to go back to the manufacturer and buy a replacement cord.

Old 04-02-15, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
I think you are going to have to go back to the manufacturer and buy a replacement cord.
Which I'll bet they will not sell you. Non-user replaceable part, product liability issues, UL listing issues, etc. Instead they'll say send it to us and we'll repair it for some outrageous amount.

Old 04-02-15, 08:03 PM
Instead they'll say send it to us and we'll repair it for some outrageous amount.
I think the roundtrip freight to China and back would be the biggest cost. I'd buy a new heater.

Old 04-02-15, 09:15 PM
I just did a search and those Duraflame heaters are not inexpensive, lowest price I saw was $49 and some were well over $200 on Ebay. It might help if we knew what model is being discussed.

Here is the contact page for Duraflame. Contact Us - Consumer and Wholesale Contact Info - Duraflame