Sub panel - good idea?

Old 04-02-15, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sub panel - good idea?

Hello,
I'm early in the process of planning finishing a basement. The house is relatively new construction with 200 amp service to a single panel for the home. The panel sits in a room that will likely be a finished bedroom when the remodel is done, so I'm wondering if it makes sense to add a sub panel in the utility room where the walls and ceiling will remain unfinished. My thoughts are it might make finishing the basement a bit easier (although I should have room for new circuits in the existing panel), but really I'm more concerned about future needs. I could see the need for more power in the attached garage for tools or maybe an electric car charger some day. The attached garage happens to be easily accessible from this utility space. I also have considered the possibility of PV solar power in the future, and this would give a nice place to feed to. So with that in mind, does the concept make sense? Not knowing exactly what some of these possible power needs might be, how would you suggest I think about sizing the panel? I've heard 60amp is a pretty cost effective size, but I'm not sure that would be large enough. Any other considerations I should keep in mind?

Thoughts appreciated!
Thanks,
Guy

Last edited by 4thisguy; 04-02-15 at 02:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-15, 02:20 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Some electric car chargers take 50 amperes all by themselves so I would opt for at least a 100 ampere panel and feeder.

Old 04-02-15, 03:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Not an expert, but I believe PV would need to feed into the main panel, not a sub. Furd is spot on with electric car chargers -- some have pretty substantial needs.

A very good option for unknown future planning is to install some conduit runs between the accessible utility areas and the main panel, but leave them empty for now. If you need them in the future, pulling wire is much easier and cheaper than tearing out the walls/ceiling. A pair of 1-1/4" pipes probably wouldn't exceed $100 upfront cost.

Old 04-02-15, 07:12 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
I see no reason now to install a subpanel for future unknow loads.

A very good option for unknown future planning is to install some conduit runs between the accessible utility areas and the main panel, but leave them empty for now. If you need them in the future, pulling wire is much easier and cheaper than tearing out the walls/ceiling. A pair of 1-1/4" pipes probably wouldn't exceed $100 upfront cost.

Maybe a pair of conduits to the utility area and a third to the garage too.

Old 04-02-15, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Conduits make sense to me...I like it. Thanks!

I did have some conduit run from the utility room up to the attic while the house was being built, so probably should have thought of that...
Thanks all!