Question on grounding

Old 04-03-15, 02:09 PM
Question on grounding

hi,i'm curios-been reading things here where people aren't sure about grounding.how to know you really have a good ground

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-15, 02:12 PM
Group Moderator
Good ground to what in particular..... your electrical service ?

Old 04-04-15, 01:30 PM
thanks for reply.i guess what i meant was how do I know it's grd.the utility brings in 3 wires[one not insulated]that must be grd.once in my box it's connected w/neutral.when I turn on a light current must flow thru the neutral to make complete ckt.and then does it go thru the grd?loc

Old 04-04-15, 02:14 PM
Group Moderator
and then does it go thru the grd?loc
No. On 120 it "returns" on the neutral. On 240 it returns on the other leg of the 240.
one not insulated]that must be grd.once in my box
No that is the neutral. The electric company provides you with 24ov, the two insulated wires, and a neutral, the bare wire.

Grounds are used only for safety. They do not normally carry current.

Old 04-05-15, 06:08 AM
The only way to be sure you have a good ground is to see and test all of the parts of the home electrical system grounding (grounding electrode system consisting of ground rods, your cold water pipe if that is metal going underground, interconnecting wires, etc.) and also see all the parts of the grounding path (equipment grounding conductor) from receptacle down to the panel and connected to the grounding electrode system.

Typically we assume that the grounding is good after it is installed to meet code and upgraded as needed. It is not practical for the homeowner to test how good the grounding system is (relative to the earth or ground*** or dirt or soil) since expensive specialized equipment is needed.

If you want to improve on the grounding for such purposes as ham radio, you can install redundant or additional ground wires. Within limits you can improve on the existing grounding for safety purposes if the latter falls short of code and you don't want to tear open the walls to do a real and proper upgrade.

Installing ground fault circuit interrupters (some are available as duplex receptacle replacements) will give near perfect protection against electrocution even if you do not have a known good ground (or any ground).

The grounding electrode system is properly bonded (electrically connected either directly or via wires or other metal parts) to the neutral terminal strip (neutral bus bar) in the panel. If A is bonded to B and B is bonded to C then A is bonded to C. Therefore bonding the GES to the neutral bus will cause the (usually bare) neutral furnished by the power company to become grounded. Actually the power company neutral was already grounded; it is bonded to ground rods at some if not all utility poles.

*** As in (customer) "This coffee tastes like mud." (Waiter) "Well, it was ground this morning."

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-05-15 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-05-15, 12:22 PM
thanks for that explanation.loc