horizontal receptacles and stud location

Old 04-04-15, 07:59 PM
horizontal receptacles and stud location

I am trying to avoid drilling into any wiring when I put some anchors in the wall to mount a wall lamp.

Question 1: I live in a NYC apartment built in the 60s. Most of the receptacles are horizontal. Would these still be oriented on the stud the same way a vertically mounted receptacle would, and I can assume a stud would be located adjacent these receptacles on one side?

Question 2: if I am not drilling into studs, how can I be sure there are no horizontal running wires that may be running to the next outlet behind the drywall I am drilling into?

Question 3: What is the typical depth before one would hit wiring behind the wall? I'm not worried about my anchor screws, as they are very short, but my drill bits went into the wall about 2 - 2.5 inches, and I hope I didn't nick any wiring.

Question 4: one screw went in really smooth. The other screw, after the drywall, had slight resistance. I am 99% sure there was no stud there, so what could it have been? Hopefully not wiring!! What you think???

I should have considered all of this prior to drilling, but dumbie me.

Are there any decent wiring locators below $100? So many mixed reviews.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-15, 12:22 AM
Group Moderator
You would have blocking or bridging installed between the two studs to mount the boxes on. The box could be above or below the blocking.

Name:  h_box.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  7.4 KB

Your in the City. Your wiring is either EMT (conduit) or some type of metal clad. You can't use a wire tracer on this type of wire. EMT and metal armored cable are pretty resistant to being drilled thru.

If the wring was installed thru the center of the stud then you have an inch and a half in the stud itself.

I use a thin ice pick to premake my holes for plastic anchors. This way you'd hit something with the pick before you drilled.

Old 04-05-15, 06:44 AM
No need to use a drill as Pete suggested ,just use an Awl ,the anchors will even fit tighter.
Geo

Old 04-05-15, 02:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A #2 Phillips screwdriver makes a nice hole for plastic anchors. No drill needed in drywall.