dc machine into power invertor

Old 04-05-15, 01:28 PM
dc machine into power invertor

So I am a locksmith, electrical not really my strong suit. So I am plugging in my dc key machine into my inverter and its just not powering up, the light on the wall adapter goes out when I pull in the cigarette charger Name:  inverter 1.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  37.9 KB Name:  inverter 2.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  35.0 KB

So I plug into the regular cigarette outlet in my jeep and the lights on, the machine turned off right away, I noticed the fuse in the cigarette charger was only 5 amp, it is supposed to be 12. So went to autozone closest they had was 10 or 15 amp, I get 15 amp plug machine into cigarette outlet the machine turns on. Then I noticed the machine wouldn't turn back on after I turned it off and now I realized it was too much amps and blew the fuse for the outlet in my car. Keep in mind I just want to get the damn thing running in the inverter not the cigarette outlet. My ac key machine works fine in inverter, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-15, 02:32 PM
Group Moderator
I didn't understand your post. You wrote:
I am plugging in my dc key machine into my inverter
But an inverter usually supplies 120 volts AC not DC. Even more confusing you wrote:
I just want to get the damn thing running in the inverter not the cigarette outlet.
Cigarette outlet would be 12 volts DC. An inverter would be 120 volts AC. What voltage does the key machine really use? How many amps? That info should be on the motor name plate.

Old 04-05-15, 02:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You are inverting DC to AC, and the adapter is most likely putting out AC, not DC. Can you verify that by the output markings on the transformer?

Old 04-05-15, 03:00 PM
So stupid, the adapter is ac to dc lol well problem solved. Thanks man

Old 04-05-15, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
Still confused. You asked about a converter not an adapter. A converter is DC to AC not AC to DC. So what are you really doing. Is the key machine AC or DC?

If you continue to use over size fuses in your truck you may burn up your wiring harness.

Old 04-05-15, 05:52 PM
the key machine that's not powering is dc and I ordered the right size fuses online, but yeah still not sure how I'm going to do this. I might have to buy an ac motor from the manufacturer of the key machine, I'm not putting more stuff in my jeep like a dc to ac inverter and I'm deff not putting a car battery in my car and hook jumper cables to power the machine, idk.

Old 04-05-15, 06:01 PM
Group Moderator
I'm deff not putting a car battery in my car and hook jumper cables to power the machine, idk.
No jumper cables needed and we can help you set up a second battery installed in an out of the way place that charges automatically from your Jeeps charging system. The battery, depending on amps of the key machine, could be smaller then a regular car battery.

Last edited by ray2047; 04-05-15 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-05-15, 06:04 PM
Group Moderator
If you have a 12vdc key cutting machine that you are using for mobile service...... you don't want to convert it to an AC motor.

Old 04-05-15, 06:15 PM
but I already have an inverter hooked up to the battery

Old 04-05-15, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
but I already have an inverter hooked up to the battery
Why if it is a DC motor? An inverter supplies AC. If you did change the motor to AC the inverter might not be able to supply enough amps and in any event you might have a greater drain on the battery then if straight DC to a motor.

Old 04-05-15, 06:26 PM
the inverter I have is hooked up to the terminals on the battery in my jeep, apologize for not knowing enough about this stuff I really should lol. Here is my inverter, Whistler Pro-2500W Pro 2500-Watt Power Inverter

I understand that dc is better in my case then ac but I already bought this inverter so I don't want to have it just for my other key machine on it would like both to work on it

Old 04-05-15, 07:33 PM
Ray when you get a chance give me a suggestion on what to do, cause I still need this inverter for my other key machine and to charge my drill batteries. What do you think is the best thing to do, thanks

Old 04-06-15, 02:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'll interject one thought while Ray gathers his. How long is the keying machine operating at one time? Certainly it isn't constantly running so as to run the battery of your Jeep down. I say running it off the Jeep battery remotely with a cigarette lighter adapter would be fine. When you crank the Jeep to move on to the next job, the battery will replenish itself. I can't see it depleting the battery after one use. If you fear that would be the case, as Ray stated earlier, we can configure a setup with diodes that will allow a remote battery to be charged by the Jeep, and you can run it until it is dead if you want, but will not affect the cranking battery of the Jeep.

Old 04-06-15, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator
You could run two conductors from your jeep battery back to your key machine.
If you idle the jeep I am sure your vehicle alternator has enough capacity to operate key machine.

Old 04-06-15, 06:17 AM
Chandler, yes if I can get the key machine running on my inverter that's what I want. I worked for a locksmith for 4 years and I had two work vans, one was a ford e250, if I forgot tob turn the inverter off and left it on for few hours without car running the van will still crank up. The other van was a transit, if I left the inverter on for 20 min without car running like I'm working and come back I gotta jump my battery everytimr. But I'm just going to turn tbe inverter off, the machinr is gonna be on for a couple min at a time then turn it off and onto the next one. Problem is I can't find any adapter for this, everything is ac to dc

Old 04-06-15, 06:23 AM
Group Moderator
Here is an example of a battery isolator: Amazon.com: WirthCo 20092 Battery Doctor 125 Amp/150 Amp Battery Isolator: Automotive A battery as small as a lawn tractor battery or a motorcycle battery might be large enough to power your DC machine.

Old 04-06-15, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator
The amount of info you are getting must be confusing.

Your DC machine does in no way need to be powered by an inverter.
Your vehicle's power supply is already DC and you can use that.
I am assuming that the machine is 12 volts DC.

Old 04-06-15, 06:52 AM
I understand that it doesn't need the inverter to run but can it run on it? They don't sell an adapter for dc to ac to plug in?

Old 04-06-15, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator
You are getting a lot of good advice here but don't seem to be carefully considering it.

Obviously no.
The inverter you have does not have a high enough DC capacity.
It is counter productive to convert DC to AC then back to DC.
The losses are too great.

Hook the DC machine to your vehicle battery.

Is this thread a test???

Old 04-06-15, 07:04 AM
Group Moderator
I understand that it doesn't need the inverter to run but can it run on it?
Anything is possible but it is not logical. Why increase 12 volts to 120 volt then reduce it back down to 12 volts? Makes no sense what so ever plus due to power losses it would actually.use more power then running it directly.

As Greg said just wire it to your Jeep's battery. If you just have to have a cord and plug someone here can suggest an adequate receptacle and plug that can be used if you will just tell us how many amps the DC key machine draws. That question has been asked before but till you answer it we are working in the dark trying to help you.

Old 04-06-15, 07:08 AM
12 amps for the motor, and I do appreciate your guys advice

Old 04-06-15, 07:17 AM
Group Moderator
That is a very reasonable amperage. You could mount a receptacle such as this http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Automotiv...ive+receptacle where convenient and wire directly to the battery using a 20 amp inline fuse. I'd suggest a minimum of #10 wire.

Fuse holder example: http://www.amazon.com/In-line-ACT-Wa...xgy_auto_img_y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1zH020tVpk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1zH020tVpk

If your battery is side terminal here is an example of how to connect: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/a...0300/6280471-P

Top post battery lug: http://www.wirthco.com/mount-bolt-st...-611-l-en.html

Last edited by ray2047; 04-06-15 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-06-15, 07:57 AM
Deff going to consider doing that ray, when I get the proper 12 amp fuse forbmy machine is it ok to just plug into the cigarette outlet? Not trying to blow anymore fuses or start an electrical fire

Old 04-06-15, 09:00 AM
Group Moderator
Most cigarette lighter circuits are designed for 10A maximum use and fused at 10A.
Some are 15A circuits. It should be listed on your fuse box cover.

Old 04-06-15, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
I noticed the fuse in the cigarette charger was only 5 amp, it is supposed to be 12
If the fuse is listed on the cover of your fuse box as 12 then I would not try to run a 12 amp motor on it. There might even be other loads on the fuse but even if there isn't it is too small. You said the machine blew a 15 amp fuse. That is proof the factory lighter outlet isn't adequate. Note the 12a for the machine is after it starts. When it starts the amps could be double that. The 20a I suggested for a dedicated outlet may need to be a slow blow fuse to allow the motor to start.

Old 04-07-15, 08:46 AM
Yup thanks ray, after couple trips to autozone realized its not plausible to run in the outlet, 10 amp burnt the fuse for the outlet and 7 amp burnt fuse in charger so yeah realizing its jist not gonna work in the outlet, going to do as you suggested

Old 04-07-15, 09:41 AM
Group Moderator
If you need any more help just ask.