Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

replacing 3 wire G.E.(76) oven with newer model G.E 3 wire free standing. Ohio.

Old 04-06-15, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Should i install a 220v outlet to install a new 3 wire free standing oven or use the exisiting wires that are hardwired to my 1976 built in oven.There are 2 black wires and 1 bare wire(copper i assume) coming out of the wall and connecting to the old oven. I Cannot find a junction box behind the old oven and didnt know which route to take.Or possibly do something different alltogether!? Wires go as follows;1st black wire exiting wall goes to black wire connected to old oven. 2nd Black wire exiting wall goes to red wire connected to oven. 3rd bare(copper) wire exiting wall connects to white wire exiting old oven. By the way the new oven looks like it would take a 3 wire black red white cord

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-15, 09:31 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Should i install a 220v outlet
Nominal voltage is 240 volts.
3rd bare(copper) wire exiting wall connects to white wire exiting old oven.
That is a code violation if it is NM cable. A bare in NM cable can't be used as a neutral.
By the way the new oven looks like it would take a 3 wire black red white cord
Is it 240 or is it 120/240? If it is 240 the old cable may be okay. If it is 120/240 and the cable is NM (Romex) you can't use it because you don't have a ground.

If it is SE not NM you may be okay. SE will have stranded wire wraped around the inside of the jacket.

Name:  SEU Cable.JPG
Views: 276
Size:  30.0 KB
SE cable

Name:  121585407503_1.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  24.0 KB
NM cable

Last edited by ray2047; 04-06-15 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-06-15, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, you cannot use your existing cable. You will need to run new cable all the way back to your main panel.

Older wall ovens and cook tops used straight 240 volt wiring, two hot wires and ground. Many newer cook tops still use this same set up, no neutral.

Free standing ranges require a neutral. You don't have a neutral.

Run 3 conductor cable with ground. Since you are using a new 4-wire set up, you will be removing the bonding strip installed at factory.

See range wiring instructions.

2 Hot and Neutral will be wired to terminal block.
Bare ground will be connected directly to chassis using grounding screw.

Edit: You should install a 4-wire range cord and receptacle. You can get help on that once new cable is ran. Post kW rating of oven if you are in doubt of what cable to run, normally 8/3 with ground. The range data plate will usually be on the side of the frame inside lower drawer.

Last edited by Handyone; 04-06-15 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-06-15, 11:09 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I'm confused. You said oven and I ignored the freestanding part because it made no sense. Are you as Brian said really installing a stove? My answer was for an oven not a stove.