Replacing Coax Cable

Old 04-07-15, 02:40 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing Coax Cable

I am debating replacing all of the coax cable in the house. I am assuming it is the original based on what I've seen in the attic and outside at the junction box. I will be dropping at least 4 connections, possibly 5. Im not sure of the codes that go along with running cable. I want to do it mysefl but I also want to do it the right way. I live in Florida if that helps.

Was thinking of using the Quad shield from my local lowes.

Quad Shield Black Coax Cable

For the splitter I was thinking of using

Legrand Nickel 8-Way Coax Video Cable Splitter
or
IDEAL Zinc 8-Way Coax Video Cable Splitter

I don't mind spending the extra money for the first splitter if it makes a difference. I plan on cleaning up all of the dead connections outside, remove all of the unused lines, run a single line up into the attic into the splitter, then branch off to each connection location. Any thoughts, opinions or suggestions on the items or running the cable?

Thanks.

Old 04-07-15, 02:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Only drawback is if you were to ever go from cable service to satellite service. You can't just "split" the signal like you can with cable. Are you replacing it because of problems, or damaged coax? Just wondering why the activity. Oh, welcome to the forums!

Old 04-07-15, 03:11 PM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 69 Posts
No comment on the splitters. But, having lived in FL many years, have seen myself RG59 "go bad" after 30 years in hot/humid attic. Somehow either the tarnished braid or the center insulation gets lossy.

Old 04-07-15, 03:30 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Use the fewest amount of splitters as possible. Don't use a splitter with more connections than you need. Make sure they are accessible so you can replace them. They can go bad.

Old 04-07-15, 03:46 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Don't know how old it is, nor how much off a job it will be, but, before you start pulling it out of the walls, my guess would be that what you are seeing, that in a hot attic and that outdoors, exposed to sunlight, is probably far worse than the runs that are in the walls where it's probably more temperate. Just suggesting that you may be just as well off to replace just those sections that are readily accessible.

Old 04-08-15, 02:29 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the welcome and the input. The house is just over 25 years old, so I'm trying to go through and update things here and there. What is there is s mess and seems there is no rhyme or reason for the way its ran. I don't have cable or satellite, using an OTA antenna. I plan on only having one splitter just inside the attic near the access point.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: