Fixing an outdoor receptacle

Old 04-09-15, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fixing an outdoor receptacle

I have just purchased a house with a lot of outdoor lighting. The outdoor outlets are all in various states of disrepair though... and I need a little advice on how to fix them.

I believe that the power comes from a breaker panel in the garage through a PVC conduit, and into the bottom of the outlet box pictured here:

Name:  WP_20150409_001.jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  36.7 KB

Then a cable goes out the back of this outlet to power 3 more outlets elsewhere in the yard, this cable you can see here:

Name:  WP_20150409_004.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  26.3 KB

So my plan is to replace this with a GFCI outlet, which if I understand correctly, can protect all of the other outlets further down the line (and thus they do not also need to be GFCI).

My question is this: what would be the proper way to seal the box around that cable coming out the back? Is there a type of plug or something that can seal around a cable like that?

Also... any recommendations on the kind of box to get for this? My google searches have found a plethora of possible products... not sure if there is a preferred material/brand/whatever for this kind of thing.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-15, 04:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
A weatherproof UF connector can be used on the cable.

The metal weatherproof boxes seem to corrode and fall apart after a few years, sometimes less. There are PVC boxes you can use.

Old 04-09-15, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
The metal weatherproof boxes seem to corrode and fall apart after a few years, sometimes less.
That is the truth. I'll drill a 3/16" hole in the bottom of the box to let the water drain out.

Old 04-10-15, 12:59 AM
Thanks -- that weatherproof UF connector is just what I was looking for... but my searching failed me without knowing exactly what it is called.

And yeah PVC boxes seem to make more sense, I'll pick up one of those. Thanks for the advice, now the joy of seeing if I can get the old boxes off...

Old 04-10-15, 04:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
One more thought. Although a little more expensive, rather than starting your protection at and after that receptacle, protect the entire circuit from the panel with a GFCI breaker. Remember, although you have a GFCI receptacle in place, the wiring leading to it will not carry that protection. I just like that insurance with outdoor receptacles.

Old 04-10-15, 06:06 AM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
I would use a 2 gang PVC box and bring that UF into the bottom of the box with the appropriate connector,also remember that all the other receptacles must be waterproof.
http://www.amazon.com/Carlon-E382DE-.../dp/B000K2AGUM
http://m.platt.com/platt-electric-su...spx?pid=245541

Arlington | Non-Metallic UF Connectors

Old 04-10-15, 08:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
You also need bubble covers on outdoor receptacles instead of those spring flip covers your old receptacles probably had. At any of the big box stores you can buy a kit that includes the outdoor box, weather resistant GFCI receptacle and bubble cover for like $20.

E.g. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Taymac-1-...410C/202284520

Old 04-10-15, 09:54 AM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
Also if you plan on having a cord plugged into these outlets all the time you should install this type of cover either 1 gang or 2 gang.
Hubbell TayMac, 2-Gang Non-Metallic Weatherproof In-Use Cover - Clear, MM2420C at The Home Depot - Tablet
Geo

Old 04-10-15, 11:36 AM
I was reading a bit about whether to use a GFCI receptacle or breaker... a breaker could make sense here as the only thing on that circuit is outdoor outlets. But also, none of the wire leading to this first outlet is exposed... that little one inch PVC pipe in the first image goes under a concrete patio and then directly to the breaker panel. I'll give that some thought.

And yes -- I'll be getting a new cover for this outlet, and a couple while-in-use covers for the ones that have low voltage transformers plugged into them for the outdoor lighting.

When you plug the unused holes on these boxes with the supplied covers... do they need to be sealed with something as well?

Old 04-10-15, 08:19 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
When you plug the unused holes on these boxes with the supplied covers... do they need to be sealed with something as well?
No, just screw them in till they are snug. Remember, any receptacle or GFCI receptacle needs to be of the weather resistant type and they don't need to be rated at 20 amps like the first picture you showed; 15 amp is perfectly fine on a 20 amp circuit.