wiring double wall oven

Old 04-13-15, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wiring double wall oven

I just want to confirm before I wire up my new double wall oven. The new double wall oven has four wires. It has the white neutral, the green ground, a black hot and a red (2nd hot).

My house supply only has three wires. A bare ground wire and two (2) black wires.

The oven instructions clearly state I can connect to a three wire house supply but my colors are not matching

I understand in 220 both (normally black and red) lines are hot and there is no neutral just the ground wire. I'm guessing in my case both black house supply lines are hot. So here is how I plan to wire and want some reassurance before I do...

The oven white and green wires will get wired into the bare house supply ground. Then I'm fairly sure it doesn't matter which black house supply line I connect to the oven red and then my last black house supply line to the oven black.

Anyone see a problem with my above assessment?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-15, 12:15 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I understand in 220 both (normally black and red) lines are hot
The nominal voltage is 240 not 220. The "hot" wires can be any color on single phase except white, green, or gray.
and there is no neutral just the ground wire. I'm guessing in my case both black house supply lines are hot.
What type of cable is this? It sounds like SE where the bare is wrapped around the conductors. The bare ground can not be used as a neutral in modern wiring. It was permitted at one time for SE but no longer is. You may be grandfathered but best is to run a new 4 wire feed. How old is is the wiring? If less than ten years that was never intended as a 120/240 circuit which is what you need. It is 240v only.

Old 04-13-15, 12:42 PM
Thank you for the reply!

I may have misspoke about the 220. That was an off the cuff guess.

The house was built '84. The kitchen was original so the double oven I took out was prob original dating the wiring to 1984.

There are 3 multi strand heavy gauge copper wires in a single insulated house supply line. Two insulated black lines and a bare copper line for the ground.

It seems like if replacing a wall oven with a wall oven I would be grandfathered. I'd also love to avoid the $400-$600 new line cost and use the existing electrical. But I'm also guessing your advice to get a new line is probably best.

Thank you again.

Old 04-13-15, 02:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Is the bare copper a single solid or stranded wire, or is it braided into a sheath around the hot wires? What is the gauge of the existing copper wires, breaker size, and what is the required amperage or wattage of the new oven?

Old 04-13-15, 02:16 PM
Adding to Ben's question:
or is it braided into a sheath around the hot wires?
SE cable looks like this:

Name:  SEU Cable.JPG
Views: 2682
Size:  10.7 KB

Name:  en5141b0019.gif
Views: 1728
Size:  13.0 KB

Old 04-13-15, 02:23 PM
I want to thank everyone for the replies.

I did a little more research and spoke to my electrician. everything confirmed what Ray2407 said in his post. This is an older wiring code for running 240v. There is no neutral. The issue is the newer ovens, and most newer 240v appliances, require a new line because they require a neutral.

Long story short I need a new line run or my oven is just a wall decoration.

Old 04-13-15, 02:27 PM
To answer your question, even thought i'm fairly sure I'm stuck with a whole new line... It is your second picture, NOT SE. There are three separate bradded lines. Two if them insulated black and the third a bare bradded ground wire. Not sure the gauge since I'm not near the appliance now but if memory serves right 2AWG.

Old 04-13-15, 02:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Yes in that case, I completely agree with your electrician's assessment. The old cable is 240V-only and cannot be grandfathered for use with the new oven.

The new oven most likely will need an 8-3/g (40A) or 6-3/g (50A) copper NM-B "Romex" cable, depending on the amps required by the oven.

Old 04-13-15, 02:54 PM
First picture newer SEU second older SE.