Ridgid R4512 table saw problem

Old 04-14-15, 08:49 PM
Ridgid R4512 table saw problem

I have a Ridgid R4512 table saw. It can be wired both 120/240. The saw would just "hum" when i turn it on. I replaced both capacitors and the saw now turns on, but it only runs around 25% of full capacity and the motor doesnt sound right. Here is the weird part. If i remove one of the connectors on the start capacitor, the saw will run perfect...... Anyone have any ideas????

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-15, 08:56 PM
OK so how did you wire it?
220 or 110?
What do you have for incoming power?

Old 04-14-15, 08:57 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

That motor may have a sticking or problem centrifugal starting switch.
Are there any part numbers/make/model info on the motor ?

Old 04-15-15, 05:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Can you post a picture of the peckerhead where the "rewiring" takes place? You may have some wires to move around before you go replacing parts. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Here's what it should look like on their page 16. https://cdn2.ridgid.com/resources/me...&type=document

Old 04-15-15, 07:11 AM
I have the saw wired for 120. The wiring is correct. I had a electrician (friend of mine) double check the wiring at the motor and at the on/off switch of the saw and he said its wired as the diagrams say so. It seems with the capacitors plugged in as they should, the centrifugal which does not engage properly. With one of the start capacitor wires off, the saw works perfectly and the switch works as it should.

With the capacitors properly installed the saw is getting 100 volts at the motor. With one of the start capacitors wires removed, or even with the start capacitor removed, the saw is getting 120 at the motor.

Old 04-15-15, 09:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can you tell if the centrifugal switch is actually working?

Old 04-15-15, 09:39 AM
The centrifugal switch operates perfectly if i take one wire off or completely remove the start capacitor.... I have replaced both the start and run capacitor, and the same results happens. If i have the run and start capacitor plugged in as they should be, the saw doesnt get up to speed and the centrifugal switch never engages. If i take the start capacitor off, the saw works perfectly, centrifugal switch works perfectly.

Old 04-16-15, 06:01 AM
Does anyone know what this could be??? Could it mean the switch contact need to be cleaned because when both start and run capacitor are attached, the switch never operates?

Old 04-16-15, 08:25 AM
Group Moderator
the switch never operates?
What switch ? You posted the centrifugal switch works perfectly.

If you are talking about the centrifugal switch..... it operates mechanically by a spinning weight system. If you mean the switch operates mechanically but the motor stays in start mode.... something is wired incorrectly.

We'd need motor information or pictures.. We can't be guessing at the wiring.

Old 04-17-15, 11:11 AM
I will post pics asap!!! What i mean by "the switch doesnt operate" is that when i have the capacitors plugged in, then turn the saw on, the saw turns on and runs rough and noisy (maybe 25% capability) and the centrifugal switch never engages.

When i remove the start capacitor, then turn on the saw, the saw runs beautiful, i can also hear the centrifugal switch engaging and disengaging.

Let me confirm that both the start and run capacitors are brand new.

Old 04-17-15, 12:09 PM
The symptoms you describe are exactly what would occur if the centrifugal switch contacts did not open at the proper time but remained closed. It could be a wiring problem, it could be faulty insulation where the wiring connects to the centrifugal switch or it could be welded contacts on the centrifugal switch that do not open even when the mechanical part of the centrifugal mechanism is operating properly.

I think it will be necessary to open the motor for a close inspection of the wiring, the contacts and mechanism of the centrifugal switch.