New bathroom receptacle wiring path

Old 04-15-15, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New bathroom receptacle wiring path

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. I'm new to electrical but I'm hoping with the right guidance I can avoid a mistake in my project.

I'm remodeling our ensuite bathroom. On one wall is a GFCI outlet. We'd like to add an outlet on the next wall (perpindicular) from the GFCI receptacle. Both walls are finished with drywall. The bathroom is below an accessible attic. The baseboard of both walls is tiled and not accessible. The wall with the new outlet will be completely tiled after the receptacle is installed.

What is the best way to run the NM cable? Horizontally through the drywalled wall and studs, through the corner studs and then through the next wall studs OR up from the receptacle, across the attic, then down through the new wall?

Thanks for any and all responses in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-15, 02:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Only you can call this. If the attic is accessible, you can run it much easier with less mess that way. If you don't mind repairing sheetrock, then running it around the perimeter will work. "Outlets" are anywhere electricity meets its end goal. They can be receptacles or light fixture boxes, so it is an interchangeable term. You want to extend your GFCI receptacle to an adjacent wall. Go up and over if you can.

Old 04-15-15, 02:37 PM
Thanks chandler and I appreciate the terminology clarification too.

I'll try to go up and over.

Old 04-15-15, 02:40 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If you have removable base boards you can remove the base board, cut the Sheetrock lower then the top of the base board, remove the Sheetrock, run the cable through the studs and replace the Sheetrock and base board. No Sheetrock patching needed because the base board hides it. In some case if you can't drill the studs you may need to notch and cover the cable with anti-nail plates at the notches.

Old 04-15-15, 02:56 PM
Can't do that unfortunately as I have tiled baseboard.

Old 04-15-15, 04:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 27 Posts
Up and over will be less mess.