Best way to reconnect tiny wire?

Old 04-15-15, 02:38 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best way to reconnect tiny wire?

I have a small piece of camera equipment with a internal wire that got so twisted that it eventually snapped. It is actually so small that I was able to strip the wire just by pinching it with my fingernails. It is ready to be reconnected, but I am not sure if it would be best to connect with electric tape, a twist on wire connector if I'm able to find one that small, or soldering. I am definitely a novice when it comes to electrical and I did not see any information on the exposed wiring that I could provide to give you more details, unfortunately. Any feedback is appreciated.

Old 04-15-15, 02:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
best to connect with electric tape
Electric tape isn't used for connecting wire. It is for insulating a splice. Slip heat shrink tubing over the wire. Twist together and solder the wire. Slide the tubing down and shrink with a hair dryer or heat gun. I like to slip a second slightly longer piece of the first after shrinking the first piece then shrink the second piece also.

Name:  150px-Soldering_2.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  8.8 KB
Image source: faq.ninja250.org

Old 04-15-15, 06:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,898 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
Shrink tubing is a preferred. You can also use Liquid Tape, nail polish or glyptol. (insulating paint)

Many times I'll use the heat of the soldering iron to melt the insulation. Ray's picture of a splice is good but you may not have the room or enough wire to perform that type of splice.

You can strip 3/16" of the insulation off each wire. Pretin with a little solder on each wire. Lay the two pretined wires on top of each other and briefly touch them with the soldering iron. This is not a high strength splice but you don't need it to be either.

Name:  splice.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  3.0 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: