Code Question Dryer Outlet

Old 05-01-15, 12:04 AM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 68 Posts
Code Question Dryer Outlet

Would like to move 30 amp dryer outlet from behind to side for access improvement. Have laundry center (combined dryer on top, washer on bottom in apartment) located in small closet enclosure.

Current location of outlet is rear wall about 10" off left wall. Would like to move to left wall about 10" from rear wall. Outlet would be inaccessible from front unless unit is moved a few inches to right (which requires effort as the right side is blocked by shelves). It would be blocked by about 10" of sheet metal from unit (beginning of sheet metal to outlet). (Also there is a small wall protrusion on left side that prevent anyone from even looking down left side of unit.

So...what codes do I have to be concerned about if I do this?

Thanks!

Edit: Mechanically it is easy since I would be shortening the wire run, I am more curious about location issues.

Old 05-01-15, 03:00 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
There is no code on it's location, most people just want it out of sight and in a location that allows the appliance to be up against the wall.

Old 05-01-15, 04:53 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
combined dryer on top, washer on bottom in apartment
If you don't own the apartment for reasons of liability you should do nothing yourself. Ask the owner to do it or with the owners permission hire an electrician.

Old 05-01-15, 01:16 PM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 68 Posts
I actually own the unit. It's a condo (fancy name for privately owned apt). Management is okay with it providing it meets code.

Couldn't find anything in the code referencing location for this so thought I'd do a double check here.

Old 05-01-15, 05:52 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Most jurisdictions require that any electrical work (among other work) in a multi-family building be done ONLY by a licensed electrician. This is for the safety of the other inhabitants.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: