House surge protector-Type 2

Old 04-17-15, 03:34 AM
A
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
House surge protector-Type 2

I am looking for some suggestions please for a house surge protection device type 2 so I can connect it to my breaker panel. 200amp. Square D QO

There are so many advertised out there and range in price from very reasonable to very expensive. My main concern is to protect my electronic equipment like my flat screen tvs and laptop computers in my home. I know that there is no guarantee of the performance being 100% protected but it helps as i will also have individual surge protectors at each connection to my electronics where they plug in.

I can easily do this myself as connecting it to the panel but would prefer some advise from the pros here as to what they feel would be a good one. My price range is about $60 to $100 for the device. I realize that most will require a dedicated 2 pole breaker which i can also do myself.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-15, 06:45 AM
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
Here is what I would use. No additional circuit breaker is required.

Square D QO SurgeBreaker Surge Protective Device Takes 2 Load Center Spaces-QO2175SB - The Home Depot

Old 04-17-15, 08:41 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
It is also important to make sure your panel has good grounding for the surge protector to be effective. There should be at least one heavy copper wire (grounding electrode conductor) which goes from the ground/neutral bus in the main panel to your main water service pipe and/or some copper ground rods driven outside in the soil. The amount and style of grounding will depend on how old your service is.